We went to this new club Code and it was alright.

New club Code opened it’s doors last week for the first of it’s Student Saturdays, and we tried it.

Code is one of a few new clubs and bars to have opened in town over summer, and with the promise of a ‘Secret Garden’ and ‘LED lighting’ we were looking forward to trying it.

It’s right next to Plug, meaning it’s well into Hallam territory, and they congregated like flies.

Standard creepy photobomb

For some of us, that’s some something we can deal with. For others, it’s a deal breaker.

As it was the opening night, the queues were nothing short of catastrophic both inside and out.

This was nothing we weren’t expecting given it was a capacity night, and everyone seemed to be in happy, vodka induced spirits anyway.

Despite the fact it was so busy, there was a fairly spacious area in front of the top bar which was ideal for taking some respite from the sardine-filled dance floor.

Spacious

One girl was even doing cartwheels, which is the exact sort of club behavior we endorse.

Overall, there were three fundamental issues with the night.

Broken taps, no bins in the toilet, and a Saharan like air temperature.

Teething problems are perfectly understandable, but ventilation and running water are basic human requirements for both living and enjoying a club.

That’s not to say we didn’t cope.

The drinks were the cheapest around on a weekend, the lime cordial was limey enough and the bouncers were all very friendly.

In search of the renowned Secret Garden we spoke to bouncer Sam, who actually “was’t sure” but pointed vaguely to a large plant pot in the corner with a few coloured lights.

This was as far as we got in terms of the garden, but Sam was very forthcoming with the conversation. He described Code as “alright”, but said he much prefers Viper Rooms. Controversial.

Making friends

We’d agree with him, it was alright.

A fair conclusion would be that it was basically Replica 2.0: same layout, same music, same crowd.

It was by no means a bad night, and as Sheffield Saturdays are notoriously shit anyway, we certainly wouldn’t write it off again.