Things you probably didn’t know about Sheffield

Megan Donner tells you 7 things that you probably didn’t know about the Steel City.

Chances are you’ve lived and/or studied in Sheffield for a while now. And I bet that when you dragged your overworked and underappreciated arses out of bed this morning you thought, ‘Wow, I hardly know anything about this brilliant city. I need to find out more!’

Well this article is sure to fulfil your needs. I have trawled the streets of Sheffield in all weathers to bring you this very important information. For example, did you know that Sheffield is nicknamed the Steel City? If the answer to that question is a no, then you don’t deserve to walk these streets without judgement.

But, did you know that Sheffield produces half of the world’s surgical blades? And that steel from Sheffield was used to build the Brooklyn Bridge? No, you did not know that, so carry on reading to find out more little nuggets of useless information about our beloved city.

1. The Yorkshire Ripper was finally caught and arrested in Broomhill in 1981

In a driveway on Melbourne Avenue, to be precise. Across from the Sheffield School for Girls and the King Edward VII school. It was actually a random arrest for being with a prostitute (meant to be his next victim of course), but the police got lucky.

They realised who they were dealing with when they found various incriminating items including a hammer, a screwdriver, and a rope, on the driveway on which they arrested him.

2. Castle Market is actually built on the ruins of a castle

The foundations of Sheffield Castle date back to 1270, and Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the castle for 14 years in the 1500s. Demolition began in 1647, and eventually the market was built in the 1960s. Two chambers remain on the site, and they are open to the public for tours.

From crude fort to food court

3. There used to be fountains in front of the Arts Tower

As hard as it is to believe that some bright spark dreamed up this ridiculous idea, it’s absolutely true. They obviously hated students. When first built in the ’60s, the Arts Tower was accessible via a bridge over a small pool of water, with fountains on either side.

One is getting wet

As any Sheffield student will know, IT’S REALLY BLOODY WINDY ROUND THERE. So it comes as no surprise that the fun little water feature was removed, due to the fact that students were getting a massive soaking on their way to lectures.

4. Sheffield is the greenest city in Europe

Yep, it’s literally the greenest. Our lovely city has the highest ratio of trees to people (over 2 million trees in total), and 61% of the city is greenspace. It’s the only city with a national park lying within its boundary, with 1/3 of Sheffield being part of the Peak District. Half of the population of the city live within a 15-minute drive of the open countryside.

Treemendous

5. Bertie Bassett was a real person, and is buried in Sheffield

But, no, he wasn’t made from liquorice allsorts. George Bassett founded Bassett’s confectionary company in Sheffield in 1842. Apparently, it was here that liquorice allsorts were accidentally invented; a tray of samples was dropped and the various sweets on offer were mixed up. George is buried in the Sheffield General Cemetery near Ecclesall Road.

It takes allsorts

6. Like Rome, Sheffield is built on 7 hills

OK, this might not be entirely true, but it is very likely. For the tree enthusiasts among you, this means that there are some fantastic views to be seen. But who cares about the view when, like a gladiator in battle, you are forced to risk life and limb to even make it up Conduit?

Sheffield’s Palatine

7. Boots on Fargate is haunted by a man called John

Yes, really. Apparently there are loads of bodies buried under Chapel Walk, and it’s here that the lovely John rests. Rumour has it that he often goes on outings to Boots, floating around the shop, circling the hair dyes and toothbrushes whilst mourning a glamourous life that could have been.

Edgar Allan Beau