Hallam Union reveals ambiguous new logo

What do you think the new logo looks like? Take our poll!

Last week Sheffield Hallam Students’ Union unveiled their newly branded logo, which is set to grace the union in the coming month.

But rather than inspiring students, it has sparked an ongoing quest to find out what the logo actually is.

It is safe to say that the ambiguous logo, which Hallam head of marketing and communications Helen Roy claims will “express who we are now and who we want to be to the future”, is even less inspiring than the competition winner Sam Huntington’s interview.

Hallam, Hallam EVERYWHERE

Apparently not even being surrounded by the new range of merchandise could stimulate a passionate response from the creator, who earlier claimed “the rewards I have gained from this competition are pride, positivity, motivation and experience of working with great people.”

Not only has the sheer dullness of Hallam’s rebranding raised eyebrows, but it also raised the question of what the logo actually is.

After a few minutes of contemplation (with the help from my mum who suggested that Hallam was still in the festive season and that the two maroon lines were in fact Christmas stockings), I came to the conclusion that it rather abstractedly formed the letters H for Hallam and U for Union – an original concept of course.

It is clear that logo design isn’t Hallam’s strong point with the union’s current logo looking like some kind of coffee shop sign with the half hearted motivational quote of “your union, your choice”. Let’s hope the rest of Hallam’s rebranding is more successful… but then again, who cares, it’s Hallam.

“There was no thought in my mind that I was going to be successful.” I wonder why