Tower of Power: Students denied entry by activists

Students have been unable to finish coursework as the occupation of the Arts Tower continues

Students have been denied access to the occupied Arts Tower despite needing to access computer software for deadlines tomorrow.

The occupation started at approximately 8pm last night and has carried on into the afternoon. From 9am students have been prevented from entering the building.

Autonomous Students Network & Revolutionary Socialists guard the entrance

The protesters have denied access to students irrespective of their reasons for using the arts tower. Many students students’ attempts to use the building’s software and equipment have been frustrated. Landscape and Architecture student Amy Collins felt unfairly treated at the hands of the activists.

‘At first I tried to get in to get my laptop. They said they would escort me to my laptop but that I couldn’t go in without their supervision.’

‘I explained that I wasn’t going in for a lecture but needed to use a computer, and they just said no. I then explained that I needed to use the computer programmes which are used in our studios – they’re not elsewhere on the campus.

Collins, right, was denied access to the building to complete her coursework

‘I have a deadline tomorrow and whilst this is about teaching I don’t actually have any teaching today. I’m a bit frustrated I can’t even get in the building.’

However the occupation has had a lot of support from students. 2nd year Historian Sam said ‘it’s great that students are taking an active interest in politics and activism, especially when it’s a worthy cause. There needs to be disruption in order for the strike to work. They’re being disruptive but for the sake of our education.’

The Arts Tower continues to be occupied, but rumours are circling that the students will leave of their own accord before the end of the teaching day.

The Arts Tower isn’t the only place where disruption has occurred. Away from the occupation, a number of online services and buildings have been disrupted by the second day of strike action.

Library services delayed – the University website informs students and staff of disruptions

Western Bank’s opening was delayed until 10:00am, while the IC and Library HelpDesk are both running with restricted services.