Youths threaten man with a knife near Royal Holloway

The incident took place on Osborne Road, near the Rusham Road junction

On the 11th of July, two young men wearing balaclavas threatened a man walking from his workplace towards Egham train station with a knife.

The attack took place on Osborne Road, near the Rusham Road junction, which is a popular location for student housing. Police are looking for information on the attack, which took place somewhere between 4pm and 4:30pm.

Police have said that the victim was walking along Osborne Road when he felt someone touch his arm, before looking up and seeing a balaclava-clad man up ahead of him. Turning to see who had stopped him, he saw that this man was also wearing a balaclava.

This man then went to pull out a knife, when the victim turned and ran back up Osborne Road. The youths then fled the scene.

DC Hannah Clarke, a representative from Surrey police who is investigating this incident, said: “This was obviously a frightening experience for the victim. Although he was not hurt, and nothing was taken, we are taking this incident very seriously and I want to trace these two men before they strike again.”

The first man has been described as possibly Asian, between 5ft 4 in and 5ft 6in tall, slim, and between ages 14 and 15. He was wearing a blue long sleeve top, dark bottoms and a woollen black balaclava.

The second man has been described as taller, between 5ft 7 in and 5ft 8in, slim, and also between ages 14 to 15. Both men were wearing similar clothing.

Royal Holloway is consistently recognised for being one of the safest universities in the UK. If you see anything suspicious on campus, please call the security team, who are available 24/7 in an emergency by dialling 444 from any internal phone or 01784 443888 from an external line.

Anyone who saw this incident or the men involved, or has any other information that could help the investigation, is asked to call Surrey Police on 101 quoting reference: 45170074921.

Alternatively the independent charity Crimestoppers can be contacted anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

The Tab will provide more information as we receive it.