Meet RHUL’s Movember moustache-growers

Together we’ve already raised over £1,000

It would be a challenge to find someone who hasn’t heard of Movember. The global charity campaign, set up in 2003, is devoted to helping men live healthier, happier lives. They run over 1,000 programs focusing on testicular cancer, prostate cancer and mental health. Since its establishment the charity has already raised over £402million towards helping those in need.

The charity works year-round but has officially taken over the month of November. Throughout the month they encourage men to grow a moustache for sponsorship in order to raise money for this great cause.

This year everyone has been getting involved in the fundraising efforts. Societies across campus have been growing, drawing on or wearing moustaches, women have been going without make-up for the whole month and many other groups have been putting on bake sales to raise money. We even saw one guy dye his moustache neon pink for a day and go around campus carrying a bucket and collecting donations. If that doesn’t scream dedicated we don’t know what does.

We spoke to some of Royal Holloway’s students sporting mo’s to hear about their fundraising efforts.

Leah Hewerdine, Societies Officer

To raise awareness and money for men’s health issues I took part in the Movember campaign. I decided to draw a fake moustache on every day for a week. I received many confused looks from students and even had to do my Tesco shop with it on. I persevered and at the moment I’ve received £110 for my efforts.

“This, in addition to the great work of societies, sports and other students, has brought Royal Holloway’s total to over £1340 so far. A great team effort all round.”

Alex Andrews, Sports Officer

“Movember has been great fun, I thought dying my moustache pink was the only way people would donate and it worked out pretty well. I’m very pleased with it and the reception I got for doing it.”

Dan Jones, President of Shakespeare Society

“RHUL Shakespeare Society are proud to support the Movember campaign and have raised over £100 for the charity. It was great fun to take part this year (even if we got some funny looks from the public with our massive fake moustaches) and we can’t wait to do it all again next year.”

Holly Joscelyne, RAG Officer of Classical Society

It’s really exciting to be taking part in Movember. It’s nice to raise money for a male-focused charity focusing on male physical and mental health. For Movember myself and our secretary Anna Woodhams are going make-up free, while our society-secretary, Ronan Jennings, and one of our first year members, Cameron Purkiss, are growing out their facial hair.

“It feels great to see how many societies and sports teams are getting involved in Movember, so even though our society’s efforts seem small, it’s great to feel part of something bigger.”

Anna Woodhams, Secretary of Classical Society

“It’s been really nice not having to apply make up every day. It’s saved me time and it’s been a good break for my skin as well as being for an amazing cause.”

Cara Jeffreys, President of Women’s Rugby

“After our superb success last year, we thought we would build on tradition by not only adorning our faces with moustaches for a week, but by holding a Movember bake sale. We sold everything from cupcakes to brownies all in the shape of moustaches.

“Cancer affects everyone’s lives and so this cause is very close to all of our hearts and we are proud to have managed to raise £252.”

The fundraising isn’t over yet and there’s still so much going on around campus. Follow this link to donate to the Royal Holloway Student Union Movember page.