Breaking News

BREAKING: 10 days of strikes will take place at UoN in February

This will be the second wave of strikes at the uni this academic year

Lecturers and university staff at the University of Nottingham will be going on strike for 10 days in February, the UCU has just announced.

Over 50,000 university staff from 68 universities across the country are set to strike in a “fight for the future of higher education”.

They are demanding for pension cuts to be reversed and for uni staff pay rises. They are also seeking better working conditions.

The strikes are set to take place on the following days:

Monday 14 to Friday 18 February

• Monday 21 and Tuesday 22 February

Monday 28 February to Wednesday 2 March

Further industrial action may also follow, including a potential marking and assessment boycott.

This development comes amid an ongoing dispute between the UCU and universities nationwide. Three days of strikes happened at UoN earlier this academic year in December.

Strikers in December.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said: “It is a damning indictment of the way our universities are managed that staff are being left with no option but to walk out again. For a sector that is worth tens of billions of pounds and enjoys record levels of student growth it is beyond disgraceful that in return staff get vicious pension cuts, falling pay and are pushed to breaking point under deteriorating working conditions.

“Time is quickly running out for vice chancellors to avert strike action, but it can be done. Staff need a proper pay rise, action to tackle insecure contracts, unsafe workloads and pay inequality, and for devastating pension cuts to be revoked. Any disruption that occurs will be the clearest indication yet that university bosses don’t value their staff.

“This wave of strike action is a fight for the future of higher education and staff are proud to stand alongside students in the fight for an education system that treats students and staff with respect.”

Students supporting the strikes in December.

NUS national president Larissa Kennedy said: “Students’ unions and student organisers have a proud tradition of standing in solidarity with staff, and we saw this in action up and down the country in December.

“As students, we are acutely aware that staff working conditions are our learning conditions. The same education system that forces students into food banks exploits staff on insecure contracts, with some even having to sleep in tents while they mark our essays. The same system that produces awarding gaps that impact students of colour produces pay gaps that impact staff of colour.

“We will continue to stand with staff in their struggles because nothing about this broken system is inevitable. At NUS, we’re calling on students to walk out of the education that doesn’t work for any of us on March 2, and come together to re-imagine a new vision for education.”

Drones with spotlights and cameras to be trialled at UoN to keep women safe at night

UoN alumnus Sir Jonathan Van-Tam has been appointed Pro-Vice-Chancellor at the university

Netflix has donated a churchyard bench from After Life to UoN’s campus