Breaking News

Strikes will take place at University of Nottingham in December

The strikes will take place from 1st to 3rd December

The University and College Union (UCU) has confirmed that University of Nottingham will be hit with strike action from 1st to 3rd December.

University of Nottingham is one of 58 universities that have staff taking part in the strikes over both pay and pension disputes.

Earlier this month The Tab Notts reported how 62.6 percent of eligible University of Nottingham UCU members voted, with 71.6 percent voting in favour of strike action.

The UCU’s general secretary Jo Grady said: “Strikes over three consecutive days are set to hit university campuses next month unless employers get round the table and take staff concerns over pension cuts, pay and working conditions seriously.

“UCU has repeatedly asked employers to meet with us to try to resolve these disputes. But while we set out pragmatic solutions that could halt widespread disruption to UK campuses, university bosses refuse to revoke unnecessary, swingeing pension cuts or even to negotiate on issues like casualisation and the unbearably high workloads that blight higher education.

“A resolution to this dispute is simple. But if employers remain intent on slashing pensions and exploiting staff who have kept this sector afloat during a pandemic then campuses will face strike action before Christmas, which will escalate into spring with reballots and further industrial action.”

A spokesperson for The University of Nottingham said: “We deeply regret the prospect of industrial action, particularly at a time when students are re-engaging with life on campus which is so important for their education and wellbeing after the turbulence of the past 18 months.

“The University will remain open throughout the industrial action and the vast majority of teaching and learning will proceed as usual on the designated strike days. More than 90% of staff will not be participating in the action and students should assume that lectures, seminars and classes will take place unless notified otherwise.

“Schools will explore options to reschedule any sessions affected by industrial action, provide learning resources, extend deadlines where helpful and ensure that assessments reflect the learning that has taken place.

“With a £15 billion gap between its current funds and its promises to future pensioners, it is indisputable that the USS pension needs reform. Without reform, staff would face increases in how much they pay into the pension of 12% in April and a further 17% in October 2022 – an extra £858 in pension costs over the first twelve months for someone earning £40,000 – with contributions set to rise further every six months until 2025.

“The proposals under consultation with scheme members – backed up by an additional £1.3 billion support from employers – are the only viable plan that keeps it affordable for members and retains defined benefits which are rarely seen in other schemes. University contributions to maintain an unreformed pension scheme would increase by up to £35 million, and push our running costs higher than our current income.”

• UoN’s UCU votes in favour of strike action

• Stealth bouncers suspended after footage of girl being dragged across ground goes viral

• What’s MFA and why are there posters about it everywhere on campus?