Image may contain: Building, City, Town, Vegetation, Plant, Urban, Scaffolding, Construction

Nottingham Trent forced to demolish brand new £10 million lecture theatre because a wall collapsed

It was due to open soon

After spending a whole year and a whopping £10 million on the construction of a new lecture theatre, Nottingham Trent Uni have just announced their decision to demolish it. What's more, it was due to open in just a few months.

Image may contain: Plant, Apartment Building, Brick, Office Building, Scaffolding, Condo, Housing, High Rise, Building, Town, Urban, City, Construction

The extension to the Lyth building on Trent's Brackenhurst campus (roughly 30 mins from Old Market Square) promised great improvements. These included a café, 200-seat lecture theatre, offices for staff members and modernised teaching spaces.

But as soon as the walls of the new development started crumbling, just before Easter, the structural integrity of the new development was put into question.

Image may contain: Urban, Building, Scaffolding, Construction

An investigation has been launched into the cause of the damage. This comes after contractors confirmed structural problems and deemed the building's new extension unsafe.

Clearly embarrassed, an NTU spokesman stated that "the affected area of the site was cordoned off and, following advice, the decision was taken on Good Friday to remove the affected section of the building."

There is no risk to the main part of the Lyth building.

Image may contain: Freeway, Highway, Road Sign, Sign, Tarmac, Asphalt, Symbol, Road

It has been suggested that the project will continue to go ahead as planned and that a process of reconstruction will take place. Trent University are yet to comment as to whether the new lecture theatre will open, as originally intended, in September 2019.

Image credit goes to SWNS