Weed is just as dangerous as stairs according to an anti-drug group

Weed could soon be legal

| UPDATED national noad

An anti-drug group said should be made legal, as it’s just as risky as walking down stairs.

Smoking weed may soon be legal after several police and campaign groups said criminalisation does not work.

Top cops in several forces are turning a blind eye to anyone growing marijuana for their own use.

And now anti-drug campaigners claim legislation will actually make weed safer, comparing the dangers of weed to stairs and bleach.

The legislation of weed has been an ongoing debate since it was criminalised in the early 20th century.

It has been proven that grass is 114 times less harmful than alcohol and yet is considered a Class B narcotic. If caught, an offender could face a five year prison sentence.

DARE, a campaign group to keep kids off drugs, admitted the legislation of marijuana “will actually make everyone safer”.

The organisation argued weed was no different to stairs, bleach and exposed wall sockets and therefore should be not prosecuted so harshly.

In a letter, they said: “We just happen to know that legalizing and regulating marijuana will actually make everyone safer.

“Anyone who suggests we outlaw everything dangerous to children would also have to ban stairs, Tylenol, bleach, forks and outlet sockets and definitely alcohol.

“Those things harm children every day, but anyone championing that we ban them would be laughed at.

“The answer isn’t prohibition and incarceration; the answer is regulation and education.”

The announcement comes after several police forces admitted they are turning a blind eye to the consumption of weed.

Rom Hogg, Police Commissioner for Durham Constabulary recently publicly acknowledged that individuals who grew Cannabis for their own consumption would not be targeted by officers.

He said: “We are not prioritising people who have a small number of cannabis plants for their own use. In low level cases we say it is better to work with them and put them in a position where they can recover. It is unlikely that a case like that would be brought before a court.”

While the government have stated that they will not be relaxing their policy towards the Class B narcotic, drug policy experts argue that Durham constabulary are not alone in their attitude towards the drug.

This comes as the UK parliament received a petition with 200,000 signatures in support of the legislation of weed. Marijuana is set to be discussed in the House of Commons by September.