Man arrested over rape of young woman in town centre

Police have not revealed if she was a student

abuse Attack Crime police prince of wales rape rape culture sexual assault

A man has been arrested in connection with the rape of a young woman in Norwich town centre.

The woman, in her twenties, was attacked and raped by a man in an alleyway in the Recorder Road area.

The assault took place shortly after 3am on Friday, October 9th, near the Prince of Wales strip.

On Sunday October 18th, detectives arrested a 22-year-old man in Peterborough on suspicion of rape offences.

Prince of Wales Road, near to where the assault took place

The suspect is described as being black, of medium build, between 5ft 8 and 6ft in height and having shoulder-length black dreadlocks.

He was wearing black jeans with a black shirt and had a nose ring.

Chief Inspector Nathan Clark said: “Extra patrols will be taking place around the Recorder Road area to offer reassurance to local residents that this kind of incident remains unusual for Norwich.”

The suspect was held overnight in Peterborough Police Station whie being questioned by Norfolk officers.

He has been released on police bail pending further enquiries and police have pledged to increase patrols in Norwich’s “clubland” area.

This follows another sexual attack of a woman who suffered facial injuries on September 6th on Drayton Road.

A 25-year-old man in this case pleaded guilty to attempted rape and also admitted to assault causing actual bodily harm.

The accused is in custody and is due to be sentenced at crown court on Friday 13th November.

As a result of recent rape incidents, the “Time to Stop” campaign has been launched by the police in Norfolk and Suffolk which attempts to prevent and reduce rape and sexual violence in both counties.

The campaign looks to educate and deter potential offenders, protect potential victims and enable victims to access specialist local services for recovery.

A key message of the campaign is that rape is sex without consent or where the victim was incapable of consenting through drink, drugs, or other means. In the eyes of the law, it is irrelevant if the two people are in or have previously been in a relationship.

On October 30th, the Union’s Welfare, Community and Diversity officer Jo Swo will parole the Prince of Wales Road with Police Sergeant Mark Shepherd.