Happy Chippy still open over ongoing appeal

Local takeaway allowed to trade despite being stripped of its licence

The popular takeaway has appealed against the court decision that stripped it of it’s licence. 

Just three weeks ago we reported that the Happy Chip had lost it’s licence to trade between the hours of 11pm and 4am. This decision has now been paused as the takeaway has appealed against it.

They were first brought to court after a number of incidents involving selling drugs to underage children. In February the police launched a test in which they sent a 16-year-old into the shop to determine the extent of the narcotics they were selling and whether they were IDing.

Following the test purchasing that was conducted, a police search found a large amount of legal highs, though with many of them not containing information about what the contents really were.

The takeaway on Waterloo Street, in Newcastle City Centre, is still allowed to trade after 11pm while their appeal is ongoing.

Trading Standards at Newcastle City Council said: “The trader has appealed to the Magistrates Court against the decision and is allowed to trade until the appeal has been heard at the Magistrates Court”.

There is no news yet of when a decision on the appeal will be made.