Bomb scare in Fenham

Over 50 residents evacuated and an 18 year old boy arrested following a bomb scare

Police cordoned off an area in Fenham yesterday following concerns expressed by locals.

An 18-year-old man was soon arrested after what were described as “suspicious items” were found in the home.

The teenager is still being held in custody as he wanted to harm to people, police believe. 

Northumbria Police said that they had received a report of concern for a man living inside a home in the street at around 11.36am.

A bomb disposal unit from Catterick Garrison were also quick on the scene and residents of the area were told to evacuate.

Police issued a statement today stating: “The 18-year-old white man who was arrested yesterday, on suspicion of being in possession of explosives with intent to endanger life, remains in custody and continues to assist police with their enquiries.”

Some residents of the estate, including a number of students, expressed their worry of the situation, with many not allowed to return to their homes until this morning.

One student tweeted: “The bombscare in newcastle is near my house omg”.

Many family residents were also frustrated: “The whole situation is very scary and very worrying.”

An 18 year old man, Sabrin Miskovic,  who lives on the same street has told The Chronicle that he has been receiving death threats today for the bomb scare, despite the arrested man still being in police custody.

More to follow.