Meet your Northumbria sports Presidents

These guys played ball with The Tab

presidents sports team

Last year Team Northumbria sprinted up the BUCS league table right up to eight place.

Now with fresh talent on campus and the team trials into full swing, we’ve lined up your club presidents.

They want to take Northumbria all the way to victory this year – and they want you to help make it happen.

Michael Hughes- Men’s Football

Position?

Goalkeeper.

What makes your team the best?

Moral is always at a all time high.

What was the funniest moment last season?

Alex Banister missing the easiest chance known to man! It was harder to miss from 2 yards!

What other talents do members of your team have?

Robbie Spence can balance a ship on his forehead. Dekka is well hung!

Chris Bowness- Men’s Cricket

Position?

I’m an all rounder.

What makes your team the best?

We are a good side with a lot of good players (some internationals). Yet we love a laugh with good turn outs on socials every time which has made everyone really good mates despite which team you’re in (1sts or 2nds).

We went to ‘salou fest’ in April which was “the best five days of my life” – Henry Frankish, 2nd team big hitter. The majority was sworn never to be spoke of again though…

Errrrm alistar shields is a sandwich artist at subway, James Davies, chris graves, Henry Frankish and Ali shields scaled Kilimanjaro this year, Duncan Ballantyne can bench 100kg and James galling has a good ‘disappearing coin trick’

Georgina Emsley- Men’s and Women’s Lacrosse

Position?

I play in defence (point or cover point if you want technical lacrosse terms).

What makes your team the best?

Lacrosse is one of the upcoming sports of Team Northumbria. When I joined in 2011 we struggled to even field a team. The past two years we have made it to the conference cup semi-finals.

The men are a similar story with the added fact they won their Stan Calvert 2014 match against Newcastle for the first time in years!

Aside from this we are a very social team and can be seen every Wednesday night without fail celebrating our wins

Last season I was unfortunately not playing for the team as I have been away undertaking a placement year at MINI UK. However, I did go on tour with the team to Salou where there is always a variety of hilarious moments: One that has stuck in my memory is when we won the social lacrosse trophy on the final day of play and the entire team ended up in a massive pile up in the middle of the pitch…sticks and all.

We have a variety of talents within the team: we have team mates that also play for Team Northumbria football and volleyball as well as some players who have represented their counties in lacrosse. The team also know how to pull some ‘real cool shapes’ on the dance floor…watch out.

Sophie Joyce- Women’s Football

Position?

I play goalkeeper.

What makes your team the best?

What makes our team the best is that we’re not just a team, we’re not just friends – we’re one big family.

On tour in salou! Pacha wildest/funniest night, mosh pits, crowd surfing, and a fair few things I don’t think I could mention.

Other talents – having a bloody good time!

Jess Doyle- Women’s Netball

Position?

I play WD and WA.

What makes your team the best?

Our team is the best because we are all really really good friends who love spending time together both on and off court so we have a really special bond and understanding of each other.

Funniest moment… That’s a tough one, there’s a fair few to pick from and some that probably aren’t appropriate- especially from when we were on tour!

Probably when the Newcastle Uni mascot ran onto our court at Stan Calvert trying to show off then tripped over and the lion head fell off. He was so embarrassed, which was great.

Other talents- one of the girls can dislocate her jaw which is an interesting party trick! We have the current Miss Newcastle- Nicole Bailey on one of the teams then a couple of girls play instruments or are good dancers