Manchester Pride is throwing an Alternative Manchester Pride Festival!

They’re promising a weekend of activism, arts and culture, partying and more

Manchester Pride has just released their full line-up for the Alternative Manchester Pride Festival.

The festival will allow people to celebrate Pride from their home with a large range of online events, including the iconic Candlelit Vigil.

Mark Fletcher, chief executive for Manchester Pride, said: “This has been a very strange year both for us and the LGBTQ+ people that we exist to support. It was so important to me and my team that we delivered an LGBTQ+ celebration that we could all be proud of and I think this programme does just that.”

Content will be broadcast exclusively via United We Stream GM and YouTube between 10am and 1am on Saturday and Sunday, followed by a virtual Candlelit Vigil on Monday evening to close the festival.

The GMCA streaming platform United We Stream GM is free to watch but fans are encouraged to donate to Manchester Pride via the United We Stream GM page.

Each day will kick off with Drag Queen Storytime with DIY SOS star Anna Phlyactic and a live yoga class on the Manchester Pride youtube channel.

The infamous Manchester Queens, lead by Drag SOS star Cheddar Gorgeous, have also recorded a brand new drag show to be screened on Saturday, plus there will be a Black Pride MCR vogue takeover, queer womxn’s takeover DJ set and body positivity pride collective Fat Pride will host a takeover DJ set before Gaydio hosts the After Party.

Sacha Lord, Night Time Economy Adviser for Greater Manchester, said: “Pride is a special time of year for everyone across Greater Manchester, and although we can’t all celebrate with each other physically, we stand together more than ever to celebrate the LGBTQ+ community and the fight for equality.”

9pm on Monday 31 August will see the alternative Candlelit Vigil which will, as always, offer LGBTQ+ people the chance to take a minute to remember those lost to the HIV virus as LGBTQ+ people join together to fight the epidemic worldwide, and the stigma that still exists.

It also provides a space to remember those who are suffering and those who are persecuted, presenting an opportunity to stand together in a united front and recognise the many challenges that are still faced by LGBTQ+ communities, both in the UK and around the world.