Clubbers bled from the mouth after being given chemicals instead of salt with tequila

Four people suffered burns as a result, police say

Five clubbers at Tiger Tiger near Piccadilly Circus were given caustic soda instead of salt which resulted in clubbers bleeding from their mouth after downing their tequila shots.

Caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide, is a corrosive alkali often found in soap and powerful cleaning substances.

The Met Police stated that “the incident is not being treated as suspicious and there have been no arrests.”

Police were called to Tiger Tiger on December 7th after five clubbers were given cleaning chemicals instead of salt with their tequila shots, resulting in severe chemical burns.

A group of clubbers, consisting of four women and one man, were left vomiting after downing their tequila shots with “salt” and lime.

A source told The Sun that “One girl keeled over. Despite music blaring, everyone knew something was wrong. There was panic. People thought it was some kind of terrorist incident.”

On arrival, police refused to let clubbers leave the venue while emergency vehicles and an air ambulance arrived at the scene.

Police also carried out interviews in a nearby building.

One individual is reported to still require treatment more than a month after the incident at the nightclub in central London.

Caustic soda, also known as sodium hydroxide, is most commonly used for candle making, homemade biodiesel and frosting glass. Because it is a corrosive substance, touching or ingesting it can cause a potentially severe chemical burn. It is recommended to wash skin thoroughly for 10 minutes if you come into contact with it.

Tiger Tiger is a popular nightclub in London based near Piccadilly Circus. A source told The Sun that “the club kept salt and caustic soda in similar containers and there had been an honest accident. It could have been fatal.”

A Met Police spokesman said: “Police were called at approximately 10:50 pm on Tuesday, December 7 following reports of four people who had suffered burns after coming into contact with a substance, believed to be a strong alkali, at a venue in Haymarket, W1.”

“The four people – all female – received treatment at the scene before being taken to hospital; none of their conditions are life-threatening.”

“A fifth, person – a male – also came into contact with the substance but has declined hospital treatment.”

“The venue was closed as a precaution. The incident is not being treated as suspicious and there have been no arrests. The Health and Safety Executive has been informed.”

Tiger Tiger has been contacted for comment.

Related stories recommended by this writer:

Clubs are back – but so is drink spiking. Here are your stories

• Over 2,600 young people believe they’ve been spiked already this term

I’m sick of being asked to watch my drink by clubs who don’t seem to care if I get spiked