Palestine flags draped on Portico to mark start of Israel Apartheid Week

Events will take place throughout the week

UCLU Friends of Palestine Society have put up Palestinian flags around UCL to mark the beginning of Israel Apartheid Week- that will host events and stalls that raise awareness of Israel’s purported violation of human rights, as well as to remember those suffering in Palestine.

The society said: “We’ve been holding a fortnight of events. The first week was ‘Palestine Week’, where we aimed to show students on campus the non-political side of the Palestinian struggle. It was rich in culture and tradition, and it was an amazing week where everyone celebrated the beauty of Palestinian culture. It was vital to have this week to show the world what Palestine and Palestinians are, and give an opportunity to the public to see Palestine through a different lens to the one portrayed through the media. Now we begin the second week, which is known as ‘Israeli Apartheid Week’.”

“This week is aimed to expose and create awareness amongst the public and specifically students at UCL, regarding the reality of the apartheid present in Palestine. The crisis is one that has been going on for over 67 years, and like all injustice around the world, is one that needs to come to an end. The global perspective on Israel is finally changing, and we need to continue supporting the Palestinian struggle for peace and justice.”

The first event took place today in the Main Quad from 10am-2pm and involved a circle of solidarity, and tomorrow, FOP society and UCLU Amnesty soc will be collaborating to create ‘The Palestinian Experience‘, which aims to give students a greater understanding of Palestinian day to day life.

Lastly, on Thursday there will be a speaker event from 5-7pm entitled ‘Was Nelson Mandela Wrong?’ The founder of Israel Apartheid Week, Hazem Jamjoum, Palestinian students from Camden Abu dis Friendship Association (CADFA) and a speaker from Amnesty International will be discussing the question of the Israeli Apartheid and its injustice and discrimination, showing how students can help to tackle the issue.

In response a group of men, bedecked in Israeli flags were seen hanging around the Portico building whilst the Palestinian flag was being put up.