What is the most ridiculous thing you’ve done to procrastinate?

‘I left the country’

Procrastination is one of the most inevitable aspects of uni. You can fight it, you can be in denial, you can go to extreme measures to avoid it, but there’s nothing you can really do to avoid the end result.You will end up wasting a hell of a lot of time.

There are many different types of procrastinators, some will netflix their stress away the night before a deadline, others will eat anything and everything within a five metre radius of them, and then we have our extreme procrastinators, the ones that are willing to do anything but their 5000 word essay that’s due in six hours.

We hit campus to find the most ridiculous procrastinators we could:

Dillon, 20, IT & Management

“It was back in first year when I was in halls. I had a lot of work to get done that day but instead I deep cleaned our flat’s kitchen.

“Not even the normal kind of deep cleaning, it was deep cleaning to a very extreme level. I even encouraged my flatmates to come to Sainsbury’s with me to buy bleach, gloves and other cleaning utensils.

“We used a hose to wash out the bins, took everything out of shelves, cleaned the shelves, bleached everything, we just cleaned the hell out of the place. It stayed clean for a maximum of five hours.”

Jennifer, 23, Cultural Heritage

“I think the most ridiculous thing I’ve done is left the country. I was in Paris and was just really overwhelmed with all the work I was getting so early on. Tickets to Budapest were really cheap so I thought I might as well go.”

Sheela, 21, Maths

“I alphabetically sorted out everything in the kitchen shelves, my sister was really happy about it actually.”

Zoe, 19, Japanese

“I was in the middle of writing an English essay, randomly stopped and decided that it was time for me to learn binary. I spent around three hours intensely familiarising myself with the whole concept, it was crazy.”

Ankit, 21, Medicine

“As I was doing my work, I found a photography competition and the deadline for it was on that night, so I stopped working and spent four hours editing photos”

Chrissy, 19, BASc

“Right now actually. I have so much work but I’m off to do a photo shoot.”

Peter, 28, History

“I went to Essex to randomly visit my grandma to check whether she needed anything, like milk or anything else really, I went to Essex to buy my grandma milk OK.”

Robin, 22, Medicine

“I’ve got 3,500 words for Thursday, but instead here I am, promoting gender equality.”

Sam, 18, Chinese

“I make myself listen to music that I really hate, like Katy Perry’s album, because I assume that I’ll get so annoyed at it that it’ll bring me to work. Instead I just listen to it and endure the pain. I think I like Katy Perry now actually.”

Issy, 21, Student Hub Rep

“I thought I’d take a break from work by going on a walk with my friends. It was quite late at night and I think we got a bit carried away walking and stumbled into, what we at the time thought, was a secret garden.

“It was amazing, we climbed the trees and hung out, until we realised that someone’s home was there and it was just a typical garden. I basically procrastinated by trespassing private property.”

Brittney, 19, Arts and Sciences

“I hand stitched a Costa coffee straw, origami style, into a small alpaca”