Fossil Free UCLU occupy main quad pavilion

They’re calling for an end to all UCL investment in fossil fuels

Angry lefties from UCLU’s anti-fossil fuel pressure group have been occupying the main quad pavilion since late last night.

Fossil Free UCLU have been protesting since 9pm on Tuesday evening, which has so far included a Skype session with COP21 activists based in Paris, a workshop on running effective radical campaigns and decorating a “divestment tree”.

The group is also holding a screening of the documentary Ecocide which is about the 2010 BP oil spill, and an evening of climate themed music and spoken word.

12334363_10205420113726980_716175041_o

Fossil Free UCL last night

Criticising the “stone wall” and the past three years the University has spent “making excuses”, Fossil Free UCL have said the aim of today’s occupation is “to demand UCL fulfil its responsibility to the future of its students, society and the planet by breaking all links with the fossil fuel industry.

“UCL is a powerful, society-shaping institution. It demands exorbitant tuition fees from students and uses that money to fund the destruction of their futures.

“As a wealthy public body, UCL is uniquely positioned to take immediate, ambitious action to end colonialism, to fight climate change and to welcome refugees.

“Ditching investments in companies dedicated to exploring for, extracting and burning fossil fuels would be a vital first step. In the face of this responsibility, UCL’s wilful silence on this issue speaks volumes.”