Save The Gower Place Practice!

The Tab are supporting UCLU’s campaign to keep the Gower Place Practice open amid plans to close it as part of UCL’s new site masterplan. There is growing outrage building over […]

The Tab are supporting UCLU’s campaign to keep the Gower Place Practice open amid plans to close it as part of UCL’s new site masterplan.

There is growing outrage building over attempts to sell off a vital piece of infrastructure for UCL, providing both students and staff alike with easy access to medical care.

There is no mention of the site in UCL’s new masterplan, which includes the controversial plan to build a new campus in Stratford. As of yet there have been “no acceptable offers for new accommodation”, which could have a serious effect on their ability to treat UCL students and staff, according to Dr Claire Elliot.

Candice Ashmore-Harris, UCLU Welfare & International Officer told The Tab:

“As the Welfare & International Officer at UCLU, I am obviously extremely concerned by the proposal to remove Gower Place Practice. They have been providing health care for the UCL community since opening and have wide ranging expertise with relation to student health concerns. The loss of the practice will have irreparable damage to both student and staff welfare, something which should be a primary concern of UCL.”

Many UCL students are seriously concerned by indications that the practice is to be sold off and a social media campaign to save it is just one way its closure can be prevented.

A facebook group has already been set up outlining a petition which will be presented to UCL senior management.

Sign the petition to save the Gower Place Practice here: http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/save-the-ucl-health-centre