Cometh the Man- DSK to visit UCL

Former IMF head Domique-Strauss Kahn to visit UCL.

Domique Strauss-Kahn ucl

Speculation is mounting at UCL that the Debating Society has secured former head of the International Monetary Fund and one-time French Presidential hopeful Dominique Strauss-Kahn to speak at Gower Street next term.

Although his visit has not yet been confirmed it would prove a major coup for Debating Soc to secure such a high-profile figure to address students.

Strauss-Kahn has been invited to discuss the implications of the Global Financial Crisis with the opportunity for audience members to challenge him and seek his opinions on the greatest economic problems to face the world since the Great Depression of the 1930s.

However controversy is likely to follow the Frenchman, relating to his resignation as IMF head last May after he was accused of sexual assault against a hotel maid in New York City.

The charges made against him were dropped in August 2011 but the scandal was enough to end his bid to become President of France in the 2012 election.

When he was invited to speak at the Cambridge Union earlier this month there were protests involving over 200 people, with The Cambridge Tab reporting that slogans such as “no more violence, no more rape” were chanted outside the debating chamber when DSK was present.

The decision to invite such a controversial speaker to UCL is sure to provoke heated debate on both sides before he even arrives on campus. Here at The Buzz we will keep you up to date with the impending visit and all that goes with it.