UoL student campaigns for free period products on campus

“I believe that ending period poverty for students needs to become a reality”

A campaign has been proposed to provide free period products for students who need them to Liverpool Guild of Students by a UoL student.

Currently the university does not provide sanitary products free of charge on campus.

The campaign was spearheaded by Jasmine Brown, a third year Law student at UoL, who told The Tab: “I believe that ending period poverty for students needs to become a reality”.

“We have got rid of Tampon tax so what’s to stop the university meeting our essential needs?”

Jasmine adds: “We have had strikes, Covid, stress, deadlines, relationships and part-time jobs to be stressed about, we should not have to worry about missing any more time on campus than we already have because we can’t afford period products”.

A third year English student at UoL, Cath, told The Tab she supported the campaign: “having a period is stressful enough without the added stress of being able to afford sanitary products, and there is already such stigma and embarrassment for some people about periods”.

The campaign has been presented to Liverpool Guild of Students and needs twenty votes of support to be considered by the university.

You can have your say on the campaign here

The Tab has contacted the University of Liverpool for comment.