Woman ‘carrying a knife’ in Toxteth shot by police

The incident occurred on Cairns Street at 13:50 yesterday

A woman who was holding a knife and stalking pedestrians on a street yesterday in Toxteth was shot by the police and has suffered injuries to her upper body.

A terrified mother and her child called emergency services claiming that they saw the woman holding a “large blade” whilst following a boy on his bike at 13:50 yesterday.

The mother told the Liverpool Echo: “Once the youth rode off […] the armed woman turned her attention to the mother and child.”

The mother and child reached a family member’s home and managed to escape the incident. The police were called who then attended the incident and shot the woman carrying the knife. The 10-year-old was reportedly left traumatised.

The incident occurred firstly on Cairns Street, and later moved to near North Hill Street. The woman has now been taken to the hospital.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) are now looking into the incident.

A police spokesperson commented on the matter: “We can confirm officers are currently dealing with an incident in Toxteth.

“Officers were called at 1.50pm today to Cairns Street to reports of a woman armed with a knife.

“Patrols attended the scene and a female was shot by police and suffered an injury to her upper body. The woman has been taken to hospital for treatment.”

A witness told the Liverpool Echo that he heard a ‘loud bang’ outside his home and said it ‘sounded like fireworks’.

An ambulance service spokesperson said: “We attended with a resource from our hazardous area response team, a rapid response vehicle, ambulance, advanced paramedic and tactical commander.

“We have taken a patient to hospital.”

An IOPC spokesperson said: “We have begun an independent investigation after a woman was shot by Merseyside Police in the Toxteth area of Liverpool today.

“The incident was referred to us, as is mandatory in these circumstances, at 2:45pm.

“Our investigation is in its very early stages and we have investigators attending the scene and the post incident procedures to begin gathering evidence. The woman is currently being treated in hospital.

“Our thoughts are with everyone affected by this incident.”