Image may contain: Water, Park, Lawn, Yard, Nature, Housing, Plant, Grass, Outdoors, Human, Person, Neighborhood, Urban, Building
Breaking News

Breaking: There’s been a shooting on Smithdown Lane

Police were called at around 2:30 pm

Armed police cordoned off Smithdown Lane this afternoon after reports of gunshots near Crown Street Park.

There were no casualties and nobody was hurt, but the police arrived at the scene to gather forensic evidence and a police helicopter was spotted hovering above campus.

The shooting took place nearby two primary schools and on a popular route taken by students to walk from the city centre to Smithdown Road.

The entrance to the park was blocked by police, meaning students walking home from lectures were diverted.

Millie, a third-year Psychology student at UoL, said: “I was walking home and almost walked into the police tape before I realised what had happened, it’s scary to think that had I walked home slightly earlier I could have witnessed it all.”

Chief Inspector Derek Riley told The Liverpool Echo: “Although it appears that nobody has been hurt, to fire a weapon in the street is of course incredibly reckless and we will act on all information immediately to remove those who bring weapons onto our streets. Come forward and we will do the rest.”

If you witnessed anything near Crown Street Park this afternoon, contact @MerPolCC on Twitter or call 101 and reference 536.