Image may contain: Tower, Steeple, Spire, Cathedral, Worship, Church, Building, Architecture

Exact plans for four weeks of staff strikes at Liverpool released

First Arriva, now this?

Staff at University of Liverpool are set to walk out during a four week period following concerns over their pensions.

Striking on this scale "has not been seen before on UK campuses," with consecutive action on the 22nd/23rd February beginning two weeks worth of disruption.

Remind us why we're paying 9k?

The teaching weeks affected are as follows:

Week 4 – Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd February

Week 5 – Monday 26th, Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th February

Week 6 – Monday 5th, Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th March

Week 7 – whole week (Monday 12th to Friday 16th March)

UCU (University and College Union) confirmed 61 universities were set to take part in this industrial action after issuing a ballot, although this doesn't include Liverpool John Moores University and Liverpool Hope University

This is due to lecturers being left almost £10,000 a year worse off in retirement under the new pension scheme in comparison to the current set-up.

Let's hope we can find a seat in the SJ to make up for it

A History lecturer at the university has spoken of how there is people at the top earning so much whilst the lecturers would be sitting on a very small pension, and how they are worried about how they will survive on said pension.

This is supported by UCU general secretary Sally Hunt, who explained that "they feel let down by vice-chancellors who seem to care more about defending their own pay and perks than the rights of their staff."

A university spokesman has also stated "The University of Liverpool will work hard to ensure that the impact of any action on students and staff who are working is kept to a minimum. Representatives from the Guild of Students are involved in our planning process and we will be in touch with the student body in due course to share details of how we plan to mitigate the impact of any strike action."