There was a shooting off Smithdown last night

There is no explanation for what happened yet

Officers were called to Crawford Avenue at around 10pm last night to discover shots were fired at a car parked on the street.

The investigations of police and scientific support vans have proved unsuccessful in finding a reason for the incident.

The black Vauxhall Insignia was found to have gunshot damage and casing surrounding the vehicle. The heavily student area at the top of Mossley Hill is experiencing house-to-house enquiries by police alongside forensic investigations.

The view on Crawford Avenue this afternoon

Forensic examinations and house-to-house enquiries have been carried out at the scene this morning.

Chief Superintendent Ian Hassall stated: ‘Thankfully nobody was injured but to use a firearm in the street is clearly incredibly reckless and we are determined to find those responsible and bring them to justice. The full circumstances are unclear at present and we are keeping an open mind as to the motive.”

Emma Murley, a third year History & Politics student, lives on the road and experienced first hand what happened: ‘I was sat in bed and heard two loud noises, but I didn’t even think to look outside because I am so used to being startled by things where I live so I try to put any worried thoughts to the back of my mind – that may be stereotypical of Smithdown but it’s true. Then, when I woke up, I couldn’t get to the bus stop because the road was all blocked off. It did make me feel concerned that such dramatic events could happen so close to me and in my own home.’

Members of the public are able to walk through the tape now and police have begun to leave the scene. A van still remains on the road however.

The police are encouraging anyone who may have info about what may have happened to phone the specialist Matrix team on 0800 230 0600, or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.