More L1 hygiene horrors: mice discovered at Costa Coffee

Enjoy your hot chocolate with extra sprinkles

coffee costa hygiene infestation L1 liverpool one mice rodents

Liverpool ONE is fast becoming the number one hangout for rodents after council officials find yet another mice infestation at Costa Coffee.

Health inspectors visiting the site found mouse droppings in the food preparation areas, near sofas where customers sit and even on the cakes and serviettes (watch out for that chocolate-chip brownie). They also found  a dead mouse on the premises.

Yum

The coffee shop is being fined £13,200 by Liverpool Magistrates for hygiene violations.

According to charges against the cafe, “mice were active in the ground floor and first floor of the premises”.

The court heard the mice were active in food preparation areas “posing a serious risk of contaminating foodstuffs, food preparation surfaces and equipment.”

When the mice were first discovered, back in February, Costa agreed to a voluntary closure , at the time claiming it was for “refurbishment” changes.

Watch out for the chocolate dusting

Costa Coffee Lord Street has since reopened, with a 5 star hygiene rating.

This hygiene horror follows the prosecution of Red Hot Buffet, in Liverpool ONE, which pleaded guilty to similar offences around a mice infection. Several restaurants in Liverpool ONE, including Las Iguanas, Zizzi, Nando’s and Yo Sushi, have been temporarily closed in recent weeks due to hygiene problems but have since reopened.

Photo of mouse taken from the Liverpool Echo.