Liverpool students design bike that looks like a dildo

Bizarre looking mega bike set to smash world records

Is it a dildo? No. Is it an oversized pregnancy test? No. It’s the ARION1 – a state of the art high speed bike designed by Liverpool Uni students.

The super bike is forty times more aerodynamic than a Bugatti Veyron, has a top speed of 90mph (145kph), and generates enough power to light the average home.

Designed by engineering students at The University of Liverpool, the ARION1 bicycle is set to be the fastest in the world.

Definitely not what most people would imagine when hearing the word “bicycle”…

The current world stands at a whopping 83.1mph in 2012 – and was set by the Human Power Team, from TU Delft and VU Amsterdam universities .

But now, the eight-person Velocipede Team are confident the ARION1 will smash that record and enter history books at an impressive 90mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrBf4rTwznA

Ben Hogan, 22-year-old student told Metro:

“The project is no simple undertaking but, at this stage, just six months in, we are in a great position.

“We understand what we have to do in order to reach our goal, and we are ready for the trials which lie ahead”

It’s strange shape and aerodynamic shell makes you think it would be a tricky bicycle to navigate.

But, a camera and computer monitor is installed so the rider is able to see their way and easily control the direction from inside the vehicle.

The wheels may be unseen but this is a bike built to be the fastest on Earth

The UoL students boast that the shape of the windscreen-less carbon fibre casing is 40 times more aerodynamic than a Bugatti Veyron supercar.

The aim is to have the ARION1 ready to race this time next year leaving plenty of time before the World Human Power Speed Challenge the following September.

“This is a fascinating project, at the very cutting edge of vehicular engineering.

“The team will have to make sure everything is perfect – from the aerodynamics, to the size of the wheels.

“It is an extremely tough ask to get a human-powered vehicle to travel at 90mph – but with the right engineering approach it is possible,” said Philippa Oldham, from the Institute of Mechanical Engineers.

The ARION1 would definitely give drivers more reason to whine about cyclists if they’re zooming around at 90mph in a giant dildo.

At least if it caught on, UK cyclists would be kept dry and protected from the British weather. And it would most definitely speed up morning travel.