Well blow me: gusts set to wreak havoc in Liverpool

100 mph winds are heading for Liverpool, prompting drastic Met Office warnings

100mph wind gail winds

Liverpool is bracing itself for a gale-filled few days as 100 mph winds are on a direct collision course with the city.

The situation has been described by assistant chief of the defence staff Major General Patrick Sander as an “almost unparalleled natural crisis”.

The Met Office has issued a Red Warning for wind – meaning: “take precautionary action and remain extra vigilant. Expect significant disruption to normal daily routines.”

Looks about right

108 mph winds have already been recorded in Anglesey, resulting in the army being drafted in.

The wind is anticipated to cause structural damage across the area, from roof damage to trees being blown down. Power failures are also to be expected.

A car is damaged due to earlier winds

The Met Office guidelines also state to “avoid all non-essential journeys. If you must make a journey carry emergency food/ clothing/ blanket etc.”

They give no direction as to whether tomorrow’s 9am is a essential journey.

Drivers of high sided vehicles are being reminded of the dangers, with this image from the M62 being a potent reminder;

So far winds have not reached the anticipated maximum here, yet have caused serious damage. Phone lines in Huyton have been damaged today and transport is also suffering, with trains being disrupted along the Merseyrail line to Hunt’s Cross due to a trees falling onto the line.

Nationally, Virgin Rail have also cancelled their trains:

Hopefully it wasn’t the driver that took this

The Red Warning should be rescinded tomorrow, and the weather is believed to be going to be back to its usually dreary self come Friday.

Want to write for our News section? Join our Facebook group.