Things Only English Students Will Understand

“You speak an infinite deal of nothing”- William Shakespeare

Because life is actually really hard as an English student.

1. Counting on SparkNotes to provide you with adequate summary about a book you’ll be discussing in tomorrow’s seminar.

1

2. Telling people you want to do something “different” after your degree like teaching English abroad.

2

3. Nodding along pretending you’re aware of every author under the sun when in reality you always assumed “George Elliot” was a man…

4. After spending hours on an essay about the significance of a full stop, receiving feedback that makes you question why you chose a completely subjectively marked subject.

5. When you tell other (science based) students you’re doing an English degree and their reaction is something like this…

5

6. Attending a lecture with no presentation and a hand out full of quotes that the lecturer chooses to reread incase we had forgotten how to ourselves.

6

7. Spending your allocated reading hours on episodes of Made in Chelsea.

7

8. Watching the film instead of reading the book as nobody has time after spending a whole seven hours in uni that week.

9. Being secretly jealous of all other societies as English socials consist of entertaining ourselves with a fake beard.

10. When someone disagrees with your interpretation.

10

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.