The Tab Interviews: dot

Tom Gilbey and James West, creators of Liverpool’s new night ‘Dot,’ tell us why Liverpool needs more house, why it’s not shit and why you should be at their events.

“Interviews are quite hard aren’t they?”  Tom Gilbey.

How did the idea for Dot come about and how’d it get started?

T: In our first year we went to lots of events and I think we always had it in the back of our minds that we wanted to do something like this. It’s hard when you’re a fresher to start a night but over the summer we decided that it was something we really wanted to do.

J: Yeah, then we got on to Heebie’s about doing it there, we always thought theirbasement had good potential for this kind of night. So we’re excited about having it there. 

With established events around Liverpool, do we really need another house night?

T: I think we’re lucky in Liverpool to have so many good nights, someuni’s don’t have much going on and with stuff like Liverpool X doing an all-dayer in the Baltic Triangle it’s a pretty exciting time to be here. We’re just offering another alternative, different DJs at a venue where you don’t expect this kind of music.

J: It’s more of a weeknight out to be honest,than the kind of event you save up for. We’re not too far from the commercial scene and we’re not too far from the underground scene. Kind of a middle ground.

T: You’ll hear a lot of house remixes of popular songs.

Where they kind of make it sound as if the vocalist is having a stroke?

T: Haha yeah. I mean its sounds a bit clichéd but its about the music at the end of the day, we’re booking local and up and coming DJs which we would like to see ourselves.

I’m sure you’ve heard some of the recent criticisms of house music. I’m assuming you disagree with this?

T: It’s pretty ignorant to criticize something you don’t know anything about. Doesn’t the first line of that [Tab] article say something about ‘no lyrics.’ Sounds like another Tab writer who doesn’t have a clue.

Laughs and high fives all round

J: I think if anyone didn’t like house and they came to dot, it could convert them.

So you’re providing evangelical house?

T: Yeah exactly church on Sunday, Dot on Monday, get converted.

All laugh at the top bant (one for the scrapbook)

So when the degree ends does dot end? Is it dot dot dot ?

Rapturous laughter at the shameful pun

T: To be continued…

J: Yeah provided it’s successful I definitely want to keep it an ongoing night in Liverpool for years to come.

Who designed the logo it’s so chic?

J: A mate of mine James Manning, he does graphic design. We’re keeping our friends involved, the DJs and photographer are all mates of ours.

T: Yeah and we’ll keep on changing the line ups as we go.

Do you think you guys might become BNOC’s?

J: I think it’s hard to become a BNEC when you already are one.

A BNEC? Big neck on campus

Catch them on Monday 2ndDecember at Heebies Basement 11 pm – 3 am.  For more info visit their Facebook.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.