Review: Eat Your Greens

Benny Page steals the show at a packed out HAUS

benny page eat your greens haus haus warehouse jungle ragga the drop

From the Drop’s thudding bass lines and swirling brass accompaniments, to Benny Page’s sharp ragga drum and bass and everything in between, Eat Your Greens did a decent job in providing a varied and engaging night.

HAUS warehouse was a brilliant backdrop for the event. It ticks all the boxes for the Eat Your Greens type of vibe: grotty, dingy and plenty of room for skanking, at least for the few who actually know how to do it properly. General looks and ambiance aside, the sound was of a good quality, though didn’t reach the heights of quality that the old Masque boasted. Despite this, HAUS seemed perhaps half-reminiscent of the old Masque in its feel and hopefully will remain as the home of Eat Your Greens for the foreseeable future.

The nine piece London ensemble collectively known as The Drop kicked off proceedings in style with ‘Looking into the Sky’, an upbeat and swinging sort of song, which generated a good atmosphere for the duration of their one hour set.

The Drop warmed things up nicely for the rest of the night.

This atmosphere was continued and added to by Chimpo who, while dropping the grime tunes you might expect, also strayed into some Hip Hop playing tunes like A$AP Rocky’s Goldie. It was a pleasing set and had variety, demonstrating Chimpo’s ability to hop between many genres without having to, seemingly, think about it at all.

Skitz and Rodney P are always a good combination especially when they are dropping tunes like Struggla – they gave the night a different kind of edge and energy, being at least partly a Hip Hop set. Still, not to scare the horses or anything, the balance was soon re-addressed as Benny Page turned the vibe back to some uncompromising ragga drum and bass, playing an array of tunes and of course crowd pleasers like Turn down the Lights.

Perhaps this line-up was, in some ways, more interesting than others as the music seemed to stray into different genres more than it has done in the past; it was less of a jungle music experience this time round and maybe as a result lacked a little bit of its usual power but overall it was another good, solid Eat Your Greens experience.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.