Review: Happiness

Write Now Festival at the Unity Theatre showcases Danny Whitehead’s play.

liverpool Unity Theatre Write Now Festival

This is a play for those who like their drama to be really dramatic.

The play is written by Danny Whitehead and directed by Dan Horrigan, who attempt to convey how happiness is a questionable concept. Do not let the title deceive you; it is far from a laugh-a-minute.

There are three main characters: Deborah, played by Esther Dix, is an emotional trainwreck and the dialogue she is given arguably prevents the talented actress from providing the audience with her full acting ability. There is a feeling Whitehead has struggled to determine what language a vulnerable, confused woman in her position would realistically use.

Despite this however Dix pulls through, and she connects especially well with her fellow actor James Spofforth who plays her ex-fiance and father to the child we are told she once aborted. Spofforth hits all the right notes: he is scary, weak, frightened and a victim of love all at once.

Lee Burnitt’s character, Debbie’s current husband Ben, is portrayed well, but to the audience he feels inescapably minor in comparison to the other two: his character has less weight.

The plot structure is clever and resembles the style of Harold Pinter, for the first two vital scenes defy chronology and it is what is not said by Debbie – she remarks to Ben that Raymond has ‘called’ as if to signify a phonecall when as a matter of fact he has literally called round to her room to see her – that is what is important.

Whether the flashback in the final scene is necessary is questionable, but the way it has been portrayed is effective, with the reflections coming off of a disco ball and rotating cleverly resembling a carousal, which is used as the symbol of happiness throughout.

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.