Accommod8 under fire

‘Worse than most infectious diseases’: students accuse estate agent of catalogue of blunders.

Estate agents Accomod8 have come under fire from angry students who branded them “worse than most infectious diseases”.

Writing on Facebook page Accommod8 are Shi8, tenants accused the company of catalogue of blunders, including:

• Broken windows going unrepaired for over a year
• Locks being changed without the tenants being notified
• Unsuitable kitchen units that allowed mice into the property

Even Google had a go

One student, Will Turner, used the company’s Facebook recommendation feature to brand them “a joke”. The company has since removed the feature.

Turner gave The Tab an extensive list of allegations, including: “Back of cupboard wasn’t attached so allowed mice into cupboards, broken window in top floor bedroom and in the kitchen – these are still broken, after 17 months”, and “Lock on front door was changed without even being told in July 2012”. The lock was eventually fixed in January 2013.

Another post on the Facebook page claims: “Things that are better than Accommod8 – Wasps, Star signs, Genocide, Getting mugged, Piers Morgan, Paper cuts, Bill O’Reilly, Scientology, Buses and most infectious diseases.”

The page has been a hit, with students calling the company “ridiculous”, and claiming that Accommod8 treat their tenants like “they’re the most stupid people on earth”. Plenty of students have visited the page, supporting the creators and claiming similar experiences with the company in the past.

Students are even printing t-shirts carrying the message ‘I HATE ACCOMOD8’.

This t-shirt will set you back £15

Company director John Blythe told The Tab he would not comment on specifics but denied the claims.

He said: “It is all too easy to criticise and make flippant comments on blogs and networking sites with little or no consideration of the consequences.

“Accommod8 has been providing student accommodation for many years and provided accommodation to thousands of students during this time the vast majority of whom would be happy with the accommodation and service they received.

“I’m sure you will agree it is not the norm for people to express their satisfaction without prompting.

“I firmly believe that if those individuals making recent comments had read the advice and guidance provided and communicated better with the agency there would be fewer and more balanced comments.”

Of Will Turner’s complaints, he said: “I have held a meeting with this particular tenant to discuss these matters and was in the process of preparing a response. I am surprised that this has been posted again at this time before he has received my response.”

He added: “We will of course continue to respond to all direct communication from current tenants with legitimate concerns regarding their property and tenancy.”

Have you had a problem with your landlord or estate agent? Email [email protected].

Like The Tab on Facebook and follow us on Twitter