Six-a-Side Stories: Back to losing ways

As injuries take their tolls on the Babes already limited squad, emergency players are drafted in to fill the gaps. But will they be square pegs in round holes? Matchday 3 beckons…

7th Nov 2012 – Matchday 3 – High Hopes diminished by How High

Fans react to Wilford's continued inclusion in the matchday squad

Brunsdon Babes 3
Thompson (3)

How High 4

This week’s Six-a-Side Stories is brought to you by the grossly untalented James Wilford, member of BBFC. Don’t worry if it’s a bit shit, your favourite scribe will return next week – TA

Following last week’s disposal of Poo Genie FC, the Brunsdon Babes were high on confidence and looking for a second consecutive victory. The bookmakers fancied the Babes, with odds becoming as short as evens on the day of the game, despite the omission of Aplin from the squad (after rumours he’s handed in a transfer request) and injury-prone Fussell being out with a broken nail. Their absences meant the Babes had to bring emergency loan players Anderson and Thompson into the squad.

The high hopes of a winning run came crashing down as How High stole the points at the death. No home fans were there to see the demoralising defeat, all three are believed to have boycotted following the controversial ticket price increase made by the board.

TV cameras were at Wavertree pitches to see the tea-time kick off as the Babes lined up with their usual 2-2-1 formation whilst How High deployed tactics to confuse their opponents with a constant stream of substitutions and keeper changes.

The Babes pressed from the off with Williams capitalising on an early mistake from the overly-lanky, overly-irate How High centre back. Only the strong hands of the keeper denied the Babes an early lead. But the miss was to be regretted as two quick goals from the opposition put them on the back foot.

This forced a double substitution as Thompson and Anderson came on for Bradburn and Wilford. The latter, whose performance in the last game saw him go from barn door to Ballon d’Or, looked sluggish following the international break. The subs worked wonders down the left with Thompson scoring twice to level the scores, the first: a stunning, looping volley from the half-way line that flew over the keeper’s head into the top corner; and the second: a clean finish round the keeper.

Half-time came around quickly after and shortly into the second period How High took the lead again. The solid, ever-present Vereenooghe replaced the injured Harriman and no sooner had he come on that Thompson completed his hat-trick: a neat move involving the whole team ended with a precisely-placed shot to the left of the keeper.

At 3-3 it was either team’s game. With minutes to go, the Babes pushed for a winner with classy play from Wilford to beat his man and put a teasing ball across the face of the goal, only for the remainder of the team to squander their opportunities of scoring a winner – clearly in astonishment at the rare piece of brilliance from the normally-futile player.

But the errors and missed opportunities were to be rued as a How High counter attacked into acres of space. There was only one outcome: the attacker slotted the ball past Etherington, who could do nothing more than dive hopelessly to the right.

Another winnable game went begging for the Babes and their already inconsistent season continues with a second defeat. A relegation battle beckons.

Player Ratings
: Etherington (6), Bradburn (7), Vereenooghe (7), Wilford (4), Harriman (5), Williams (5), Thompson (9), Anderson (6).

Attendance: 8