Help! Beatlemania is back

What better way to celebrate 50 years of Liverpool’s greatest cultural export by visiting The Beatles’ old haunts?

Because 2012 marks the 50th anniversary of the release of Love Me Do – The Beatles first single – The Tab thought it only right of to pay homage to the city’s greatest export. Some may say, in their day, they were bigger than Jesus. John would anyway. 

In Town:

• The Cavern Club, Mathew Street – The place where it all started. Have a dance and enjoy live covers of all your favourite Beatles tracks.
  • The Grapes, Mathew Street – Wander down the road and you’ll stumble across this pub where The Beatles used to drink.
  • The Adelphi Hotel, Ranelagh Street – Have a bite to eat at the place The Beatles first agreed to sign with Brian Epstein. Although the contract was void because George was too young and Brian forgot to sign!
  • Lime Street – Only a quick stop to see the place where ‘Dirty Maggie May’ used to walk the night.
  • Eleanor Rigby – If you want to visit the lonely person’s grave, take a trip to Woolton. A handy alternative is her statue on Stanley Street; feel free to leave her flowers, rice or whatever else takes your fancy!

Off the Beaten track:

• Penny Lane – For those of you living in Greenbank Halls, you’ve probably seen this  already and may even have seen the Magical Mystery Tour bus stop outside whilst you’re waiting for the 699. Wander beneath the blue suburban skies and at the top you will find the bus shelter and the barbershop mentioned in the song! However, the fireman with an hourglass hasn’t been spotted since the LSD fuelled day’s of the 60s. Makes sense, really.
  • Strawberry Fields, Beaconsfield Road – Right next to two lovely parks a great place to go when you’re feeling hung about. There’s the famous gate so take a marker to add to the charm

• The Boy’s Homes- you can visit these on your own but there’s a national trust tour that lets you go inside John and Paul’s houses and see what it’s like inside.

John: Mendips, 251 Menlove Avenue – where he lived with his Aunt Mimi (looks just like it does in Nowhere Boy.)

Paul: 20 Forthlin Road- Where most of the Beatles’ songs were written, not much from the outside but there’s always somebody outside it!

Ringo: 9 Madryn Street – Ringo’s home has just been saved from demolition; not being in the nicest area of Liverpool, the whole block was going to be knocked down. Luckily, you can still see the home of Ringo and catch a glimpse of the wall where girls used to sit and wait for him until his mum chucked a bucket of water on them!

George:  12 Arnold Grove – a small house  which the Harrison’s lived in for 6 years until the rent rose and they moved to a council estate. An elderly woman now lives there, check if her cat is peeking out of the window!

So there you go, stick on your high-heeled shoes and your low-neck sweater, be a daytripper and discover the places the Fab Four used to hang out.