music hotspots, Part I

The Tab’s Guide to Liverpool’s Live Music…

Music Lovers of Liverpool if you’re in need of help finding cheap, student friendly, live music venues, then look no further. The Tab have put together a list of some of the off the radar hot spots in the city.

The Cavern Club – Mathew Street

The Cavern as a live music venue may seem a bit of a no brainer being the home of the Beatles and is still one of the most famous clubs in the world!

But it is never full of students and it really should be! Live music all day everyday and most of the time entry is completely free!

Drinks on the other hand are a different story, at £3.20 a pint its not exactly budget friendly BUT you are getting a constant stream of live music, Beatles classics, Oasis covers, the occasional U2 or Adele song thrown in, so maybe that extra quid for your drink is worth it?

The history of the place alone makes it worth a visit, just make sure you take a marker pen – it’s traditional to write your name on the wall when you visit!

Legendary Liverpool venue

Shipping Forecast – Slater Street

There is always something going on in the Shipping Forecast! And with the likes of Mark Ronson, The View and the Maccabees playing here they’ve attracted some pretty big names.

Full of huge comfy sofas and lampshades that look like they belong in your nans house it’s live music with the comfort of your living room!

Almost every night there’s both signed and unsigned acts being showcased and, on average costing around a fiver, a foray into the unknown depths of the Shipping Forecast is easy on the ol’ purse strings too.

Where the lamps are on, night and day.

The Kazimier – Wolstenholme Square

The Kazimier is made for music with perfect sound and spectacular lighting it provides a truly memorable gig experience.

Showcasing everything from acid folk to jazz and funk, the ticket prices are a bit higher than some of the other venues in this guide but The Kazimier provides you with a full night of entertainment, not just your standard gig.

Definitely one for true music lovers and those who want to expand their musical tastes.

If you can pronounce the name of the club at the end of the night, you are clearly not drunk enough

Eric’s – Mathews Street.

The original Eric’s Club played host to a lengthy list of famous acts including Buzzcocks, The Clash, Joy Division, Ramones, Sex Pistols, U2 and New Order.

At this time the club was a member’s only venue but after shutting down in the 80’s reopening in 2011 it’s now open to us mere mortals!

You’ll find loads of live acts here, from acoustic solo artists to indie rock bands and it’s not unusual to see a four piece indie band in there playing a golden olden by Tom Jones or some other cheesy classics.

With free entry and average priced booze Eric’s is great to start a good night out. And there are bigger names too gracing the stage if you’re willing to pay a little extra. Twisted Wheel are playing there this month for the student friendly price of 9 English Pounds, not too bad to see a decent band play in such an intimate venue.

May or may not be Eric pictured…