What is the best way to procrastinate?

You’re meant to be working right now aren’t you?

You would have thought after many years of education and deadlines, we would learn that leaving work until the last minute is a horrible idea.

Yet every year, we manage to find more and more ways to procrastinate which results in caffeine-fuelled late night library sessions trying to find where the heck you got that reference from. Will we ever learn? It seems not. We chose to re-enact your most ludicrous stories…

Law second year Emma Wilson admits to avoiding seminar prep by “procrastibaking” – instead choosing to focus her efforts on the Italian delicacy of focaccia.

Just dicking about with some flour

Ellie Wilson, a International Relations and Politics first year told us: “I once fancied toast so badly whilst working, I drove to Asda to buy a toaster and bread to satisfy my craving instead of working.”

Instead of doing his coursework, Genetics and Molecular Biology second year George Forty cycled a 50 mile round trip to Windsor.

Having a proper good clear out.

Rebekah Hunter, a Creative Expressive Therapies second year admitted to excessively cleaning and organising anything she could get her hands on in an attempt to avoid work.

So much tupperware, so many mis-matching lids…

Built Environment second year James Clark avoids the responsibility of work by resorting to having Nerf gun wars with his housemates.

Staring aimlessly into her cupboard and hoping something delicious will magically appear is something Fine Art second year Laura Stevenson does to procrastinate. “Preferably something with chocolate or cheese in it,” she says.

We’ve all been there, Laura.

Maybe this time…

Georgie Andreas, in her second year of Education Studies with Psychology and Counselling resorts to the dark side of YouTube to procrastinate.

Georgie says: “One video leads to another and before you know it you’re watching videos on how to squeeze spots”.

some people resort to colouring

Journalism third year Maxine Sene admits she leaves everything until the last minute.

She says: “One time the internet in my house cut out for a whole weekend, there was literally nothing I could do. So instead of taking this chance to do all the work I had been  putting off, I went out to the shop and bought myself some colouring books and pencils to keep me occupied.

“I realised at this point I had hit an all time low.”

So many things to do, none of them getting done….but at least we made a list.

As for us, some of our time wasting activities include washing every item of clothing and staring into space.

To do list making is another one of our go to activities, whether we actually complete any of the tasks on the list is another matter, but making the list helps achieve a feeling of accomplishment. Even though we’ve done zilch.

Our personal favourite is simply denial, if you don’t think about it it doesn’t exist, therefore doesn’t need doing.

Friends can be the best or worst distractions, depending on how you look at it.

Sometimes you just have to laugh your workload off, otherwise you’ll cry.