‘Lively, eccentric and occasionally life-threatening’: Post-halls living

Where are the best areas in Leicester to live after halls?

Whether you’re a fresher completely clueless about where to live in second year, or a Leicester student looking to re-locate, we look at the best (and worst) student areas to live in Leicester.

Clarendon Park

Useful tip: there’s never any parking during Leicester matches.

A popular choice most likely due to the areas’ short distance from the university. Queens Road is a main attraction boasting several restaurants, charity shops and independent stores.

Although many students live in these terraced streets, families and professionals are also abundant, so expect the occasional noise complaint after pre-drinks.

Third year Psychologist Caris says: “It’s a nice area, we have lovely neighbours and the shops nearby have pretty much everything.

“The house next door to us was broken into and the Co-Op up the road had an armed robbery attack.. apart from that it’s friendly.”

Evington

Despite having a bit of a reputation, Evington is still a walk-able distance from uni and usually offers a budgeted rent price.

Final year history student Alex says: “It’s lively, eccentric and occasionally life-threatening, but in a good way.

“It’s close to town, the railway station and all of the best weave and saree shops.”

Oadby

If you can’t accept that you’re no longer a fresher, Oadby is the perfect place for you.

As one of the wealthiest postcode areas in the country however, rent prices may be quite a bit steeper than other parts of Leicester.

You also still have to get that really annoying overcrowded green bus to campus.

Benefits include: being able to use the student village gym as well as the campus one, crash freshers pre-drinks and stalk the person who lives in your old room.

Aylestone

Although you’re slightly further away from uni, you’ll be living incredibly close to Morrisons, Nandos and Odeon.

I don’t really need to list any more benefits than those.

New Walk

New Walk is a picturesque alternative to standard grimy student properties. It can be slightly problematic if you are dependent on having a car at university and a fairly annoying curfew has recently been introduced.

Psychology finalist Chez says: “I’d say it’s a bit over priced for what you get… it’s definitely in a good location for walking to uni and into town.

“And of course Revs is really close.

“If you’re lucky and get nice neighbours who don’t make your flat stink of weed and wake you up at all times of the night then it could be quite nice”

City Centre

Law student Liz says: “Everything is nearby, which is good if you work in High Cross. You save on travel too because you can get to most places by walking. But it’s just too far from uni.”

Although living in the city centre allows you easy access to bars, clubs, restaurants and shops, it is not exactly practical to get to and from campus.

You’re also running a high risk of bumping into DMU students.