Image may contain: Home Decor, Linen, Press Conference, Speech, Lecture, Audience, Crowd, Human, Person

Leeds MP Alex Sobel tested for coronavirus

MP of student areas is in isolation

Alex Sobel, MP for the popular student areas of Headingley, Weetwood, Otley and Yeadon, has been tested for coronavirus and is now in self-isolation.

This is the second coronavirus scare related to Leeds, with a medics in hazmat suits visiting university halls earlier this week.

Sobel's virus scare comes after visiting a London bus conference, attended by an infected person on the 6th February.

Image may contain: Double Decker Bus, Tour Bus, Human, Person, Transportation, Bus, Vehicle

Sobel at the conference of February 6th

It is not yet known if Sobel is infected, but he insisted in a tweet that he is "low risk". He has contacted 111 to be assessed properly.

The conference, organised by Transport Times, was attended my hundreds of people, all of whom have been advised by Public Health England to self-isolate, avoid contact with others, and call the NHS if they begin exhibiting symptoms.

This development comes as the number of people in the UK tested for the virus surges from 1,758 to 2,521, and is adding to fears of mass infection.

In order to limit the spread of the virus, Sobel has cancelled his upcoming engagements for the next 14 days.

You can access advice on preventing the spread of coronavirus on this NHS page. Advice for students can be found on these pages: University of Leeds, Leeds Beckett University.