Image may contain: Crowd, Club, Photography, Portrait, Photo, Female, Night Life, Pants, Smile, Apparel, Clothing, Face, Accessories, Accessory, Sunglasses, Person, Human, Party

Street parties and public drinking could be banned in Hyde Park

Leeds council has proposed a new order that would ban public drinking in student areas

Under the proposed Public Space Protection Order (PSPO), the council are looking to ban street parties like this and public drinking in Hyde Park and Headingley.

Leeds council received a number of complaints from residents and local businesses regarding "Anti social behaviour and litter related issues that are having a negative impact on those living and working in the area."

New fine system

Under the ban it will be illegal to publicly consume alcohol within the restricted areas; even carrying open bottles or cans around could result in a fine of £100 for anyone who refuses to hand over their alcohol. It also looks set to stop people from gathering in groups of two or more and engaging in anti-social behaviour, meaning a lot more power to shut down street and house parties like this.

New rules would also see residents fined £100 for not disposing of their waste correctly. Leeds city Council have said that they're reviewing their waste collection arrangements and are looking to increase recycling and re-use levels across the city.

Hyde Park is famous for its party scene, and the council passing this act will be a direct attack on students in Leeds.