Image may contain: Machine, Wheel, Road, Housing, Postal Office, Building, Automobile, Transportation, Vehicle, Car

Masked robbers armed with axes and hammers raid Skyrack pub

Three masked armed robbers raided the pub and stole money from the safe

Three masked men bearing axes and knives raided the popular Headingley pub Skyrack in the early hours of Monday morning.

At around 1.45am, the three men approached a pair of employees near the exit of the Otley Road pub bearing axes and hammers, demanding to gain access to the pub's safe. The men then gathered 6 members of staff together in an effort to intimidate them.

The men proceeded to steal a wad of cash from the pub's safe, taking money from the office afterwards- the amount of cash stolen is unknown.

The armed robbers then fled in what was supposedly a grey BMW 1 Series hatchback that was waiting on St Micheal's Road, which is a popular student residential road.

Detective Inspector James Entwistle, of Leeds District CID, said:

“These men were each armed with weapons and the members of staff involved will have understandably feared for their safety during this incident.

“We are carrying out extensive enquiries to identify the suspects and would like to hear from anyone who witnessed the incident or saw anything suspicious in the vicinity of the pub at any point around the time it happened.

“The men left the scene in a car that was waiting outside in St Michael’s Lane. It was possibly a grey BMW 1 Series hatchback that was bearing false registration plates. It drove away along St Michael’s Lane towards Cardigan Road.”

Thankfully, no staff members were injured in the raid, and business is resuming as usual for the student spot.

This attack comes after a similar incident less than 3 weeks ago in a Meanwood pub, The Myrtle Tavern, where 4 armed men with hammers forced entry to the venue, stealing a safe, however no connection between incidents has currently been made.

Anyone with any information that could assist the investigation is asked to contact Leeds District CID via 101 quoting crime reference 13190114761 or call the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.