Kitten tied in plastic bag and dumped outside Leeds library

To rehome Archie contact the RSPCA Lancashire East Branch on 01254 231118

Hide Images

The grey tabby cat, now named Archie by RSPCA staff, was left abandoned outside Leeds Central Library on Calverley Street on Tuesday 25th. Luckily, a member of the public discovered the kitten, no larger than the palm of a hand, when she heard its cries.

The RSPCA is now appealing for information about who may have dumped him by the library.

Faebian Vann, animal collection officer, said: “This is a horrible act of cruelty where a very young kitten has been separated from his mum and thrown out in a plastic bag as though he was rubbish. At six weeks old, he is too young to be away from his mum and his other siblings. He still needs to be encouraged to eat and is quite dehydrated and riddled in fleas. Unfortunately incidents like these are not a rare occurrence. Once he is back on his paws again, he will need a new home, which I’m sure won’t be hard to find as he is absolutely adorable.”

Archie is now being cared for in private boarding and is set to be moved next week to the RSPCA Lancashire East branch.

Alice Potter, RSPCA cat welfare expert, said: “Sadly we do see kittens being abandoned during ‘kitten season’ – as this is the time of year when most kittens are born. We believe the solution lies in loving owners neutering their cats before they can get pregnant, so avoiding unplanned pregnancies.”