My name is Jay Ho: Please stop singing the Pussycat Dolls at me

There’s an ocean in Jay Robert Ho’s heart

Meet Leeds second year Jay Ho, who is incredibly bored of being told he is your destiny.

We spoke to Jay, full name Jay Robert Ho, about what it’s like to grow up with such an easy-to-take-the-piss name.

Hi Jay. First things first – do you like the song Jai Ho?

“Absolutely not. When you’ve heard it as many times as I have, you’d understand.”

According to Jay, this is the face he pulls when someone starts to sing

Would you change your name if you could?

“Of course not. I’m happy with my name, and at least it’s easy for people to remember.

“My mum was actually going to spell my name Jai as well. Luckily she decided against it because she thought it sounded too Chinese.”

What do you think of Slumdog Millionaire?

“I’ve actually never seen it – probably because I subconsciously try and avoid any situation that could result in someone screaming ‘JAI HO’ in my face.”

Did everyone sing the song to you when the film came out?

“Like you wouldn’t believe. Every day at school at least 20 people would tell me that either I was their destiny or the reason that they breathe.

“I guess it was flattering at first, but after a short while you start thinking about ways you can get rid of that reason. Even my teachers used to sing it to me”

Do people still sing the song to you?

“I still get it every now and again – especially when I meet new people and they find out my full name. I’m so used to it that most of the time I just tell them about the song before they can sing it.”

We’re not even joking

Can you dance?

“Not even slightly. People might sing ‘You are the reason that I breathe’, but if they saw me trying to dance in the club it’d be quite the opposite. They’d be choking to death on their own laughter.”

Who is your favourite Pussycat Doll?

“Nicole Scherzinger, for obvious reasons.

“Also she’s the only one I’ve heard of.”

Would you give up uni if Bollywood came calling?

“It’s funny you should ask that, because I did actually get offered a major role in Slumdog Millionaire. I obviously declined because they didn’t offer me a high enough salary.

“I’ve had multiple offers from Bollywood producers since the song came out also, but I’ve just been focusing on other projects.”

If you could change your name to any other song what would it be?

“Yellow by Coldplay.”