The Leeds Union election video awards

They’re a really big deal

Remember the good old days when a simple pun could see you elevated to the corridors of power?

Those days have long gone, now you’re nothing without an all-singing, all-dancing number.

There are now so many in this current Leeds Uni race that it’s hard to keep track of them. There are over 12 music videos and counting, and whilst the singing has largely left a lot to be desired, one should give credit where credit is due. So here we have the first (and hopefully last) #leadLUU video awards.

Best Costume – Tom Pattison

Tom’s commitment to swag meant there was only one winner here. He said: “‘I want to thank The Tab for recognising my OG credentials. It’s an honour.”

Best Actor – Jake Williams

Taking to the role of Taylor Swift with ease, Jake “It Off” Williams delivered an electric performance. No matter how hard we try, we can’t forget it.

He said: “‘I’d like to thank the Academy, The Tab and my cripplingly expensive vocal coach. I wouldn’t be where I am today without years of practice.”

Best Actress – Melissa Owusu

We’ve all had a good laugh at some less than perfect singing, but you’ve got to admit Melissa’s effort is actually really good.

She said: “I am so very honoured, I’m glad my artistic value is finally being recognised. It is just one of the many hidden talents I have beyond satisfying all of your educational needs!”

Sound Editing – Dru James

Listen for yourself.

Visual Effects – Toke Dahler

He bursts a balloon.

Best Original Song – Nick Burdett

Not a difficult category to win considering it’s (at the time of writing), the only original song, but at least Nick had a go – and it’s not terrible either. Oh, it’s apparently from ‘Grease’, but I’ve never seen it, so in it stays.

He also had the longest acceptance speech, saying: “I spent three years slogging it out at music college to get to where I am today, they said a degree in jazz was pointless, but as Jessie J once said, “who’s laughing now”. Id like to thank my brilliant team for this effort, Helen Skinner for helping me with the lyrics, Rikk Richardson for the production and Sam Judd for the video, team work truly has made the dream work. Also big thanks to The Tab for this recognition, I’ve always been a fan of your work.”

Best Director – Will Stanley

(for Jonny Foster)

High. Production. Value. Look, he’s sat on top of a moving car! Talented Will also directed Melissa’s video, but a delighted Jonny Foster accepted the award on his behalf:

“This really is such a great honour, I’d like to thank Will Stanley for filming and editing, Sean Counihan for the lyrics and Patrick Craig for recording. I’d also like to thank my friends and family for helping me when times got tough”

Best Supporting Actress – Jennie Hargrove

(For Nick Burdett)

The supporting performances have shown students going above and beyond for their mates. Jennie not only stuck her head down a toilet for Nick’s production, but played the part of the victim of an Old Bar creep with brutal honesty.

Best Supporting Actor – Mark Hemy

(for Nic Stewart)

Leeds Beckett student Mark may not be running for Community Officer, but as Nic Stewart’s love interest(?) in her Frozen cover he shone.

He said: “It’s great to see a lot of hard work pay off and to be awarded for singing is something I never thought I’d see! I’d like to thank Nic and particularly Olaf for their parts in the production.”

Best Cinematography – Chris Bone

(for Lauren Edwards)

The best use of the Roger Stevens fountain since those guys with a canoe got in, Chris’s eye for a good shot helped bring New York to Leeds. He said: “Well, what can I say. I’m not sure how my life can get much better than this moment.”

Best Picture – Liron Velleman

From the moment this was released, there was only one winner for the big award. Liron’s Fountains of Wayne cover is the pinnacle not only of election videos, but perhaps culture itself.

An ecstatic Liron said: “I am delighted to have won the award of ‘Best Picture’. I couldn’t have done it without my song and video team Ellen Johnson, Sam Cohen and Max Sherrard. I’m glad that our unique sense of video-making has been recognised by the Tab!”

That’s that then. We’ve officially seen the best of Leeds’ campaign video repertoire. Now can we please stop? Apparently not, it appears there are sequels on the horizon.