John Moores student convicted of plotting terrorist attacks in Arndale Centre

He was briefly enrolled

abid naseer arndale centre jmu new york terrorist visa

A terrorist who planned to blow up the Arndale Centre was enrolled at John Moores to get a visa.

Abid Naseer, 28, was found guilty in New York of plotting mass terror attacks in Manchester, New York and Denmark this week.

According to the Liverpool Echo, the al Qaida member enrolled at JMU to get a visa for permanent stay in the UK.

It is thought Naseer also lined up Liverpool ONE as a potential target.

He pleaded not guilty to all charges brought against him and acted as his own lawyer, but he now faces a possible life sentence after being convicted.

The question remains as to why Naseer was only convicted in the US after plotting to murder hundreds of people on the streets of Britain.

Police chiefs are investigating why more has not been done to prosecute Naseer for his actions under UK law after he was first arrested in 2009 by counter-terrorism police.

Police officials from Greater Manchester said: “The reality is that, had the Americans not acted, a dangerous man who was intent on causing death and destruction here in Greater Manchester could potentially still be walking our streets.’’

During the trial at Brooklyn Federal Court, MI5 agents were disguised, and documents were revealed that were used as evidence during Bin Laden’s case.

Most of the data brought forward consisted of emails dating back to 2009 between Naseer and a member of al Qaida who was also planning attacks to the same cities: Manchester and New York.