Meet the models taking part in this year’s Glasgow University Charity Fashion Show

We got to talk the talk with the students who are walking the walk this year

Every year an incredible team of students put on a fashion show in Glasgow to fundraise for an incredible charity. This year, GUCFS are supporting Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis.

Whilst the main event isn’t due to take place until mid-February, models have already been selected from nominations and castings and their intro shoot was just released. We had a chance to speak with the students taking part as well as their model manager for this year to get you a closer first look at the brave and gorgeous souls!

Model Manager Uche Odubanjo gave us a bit more insight into what it takes to be a model for GUCFS:

‘The models are such a huge part of GUCFS as, even though there is so much work that goes on in the background, essentially it is how the models are presented in the shoots and the final show that really carry the hype around the society! Not only do they represent the society, but also our charitable partner, this year’s being Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis.”

“Being a model in GUCFS is not about being able to fit the stereotypical model look, rather it’s more about embodying what GUCFS stands for, (charity, fundraising and raising awareness), and being able to showcase this through fundraisers, engaging with events put on by the society, and a positive attitude which can be harnessed throughout the year from the first welcome social to the final show.”

“The models this year are such an amazing group of people who I believe do exactly that, plus they look fantastic in front of the camera and will look even better on stage!’

Without further ado here are the 2022/2023 GUCFS Models:

Christian (they/them)

Degree: Biotech 4th year

Age: 22

Favourite Fashion Designer/Brand?: Charity shops and recycled fashion. HouseOfErrors is pretty great to name one.

Best friend’s reaction to you modelling for GUCFS?: “Vain feck” my Flatmate, who I love very much <3

Craig (he/him)

Degree: Scots Law 3rd year

Age: 21

Why did you want to be a model for GUCFS?: I saw it as a unique opportunity to explore my interest in fashion while undertaking rewarding work on behalf of a charity!

Best Café in Glasgow: Cottonrake Bakery <3

Joseph (he/him)

Degree: French 5th year

Age: 22

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): I think its a very relevant and important cause, particularly in today’s society where so many people are still victims of SA- I also think attaching the GUCFS name to such a society is an important step in destigmatising the process of getting help, as well as raising awareness as to exactly where to go in times of need.

Favourite Fashion Designer/Brand?: Mugler

Lucy (she/her)

Degree: Comparative Literature and Music graduate

Age: 29

Why did you want to be a model for GUCFS?: I applied on a whim, mostly to try and push my comfort zones and to be more confident in myself and in my body. I have loved fashion for a long time, but never saw women who looked like me working as models! This is a chance for me to become more comfortable and confident in myself, and also show women who look like me that we can be involved in fashion and modelling too.

What is the worst fashion faux pas in your opinion?: I’d like to say there is no such thing, as I love seeing people dress as they wish. However, I would say overly long jeans/trousers – I get anxious seeing hems being stepped on, ripped and dragged through puddles!

Miles (he/him)

Degree: Environment and Sustainable Development 5th year

Age: 24

Best family/friend reaction to your modelling for GUCFS?: I’m not surprised, you’re a sexy motherf*cker.

What are you most looking forward to this year?: Wearing clothes down the runway that I wouldn’t usually feel comfortable walking down the street in.

Stav (she/her)

Degree: Biochemistry 4th Year

Age: 22

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): Bringing fundamental change, in such a cruel world, through something so glamorous like a fashion show! I’m so glad I get to be part of this year’s fundraising, as an absurd amount of people experience sexual assault every year and getting to directly help in raising money for affected people is a blessing for me.

Best family reaction to your modelling for GUCFS?: “You’ve always been a model so concentrate on your biochem degree” – Mom

Sam (he/him)

Degree: City Planning masters

Age: 23

Why did you want to be a model for GUCFS?: Well, I’ve been involved with the society since 2018 *I know, old!*, did jailbreak twice, and modelled last year, so thought, why not do it again?! It’s a great way to raise money for an amazing cause, meet new people, and have an unforgettable experience.

What is the worst fashion faux pas in your opinion?: No socks and sliders. How do people wear sliders without socks, like? Comfort and warmth for your feet. Fashion genius, I am.

Ji (she/her)

Degree: Architecture 3rd year

Age: 22

Favourite Glasgow Clothes Shop?: I really don’t do much shopping in person it kind of stresses me out because I’m very indecisive and, I generally shop by looking for bargains on Vinted.

Best Restaurant/Bar in Glasgow: Mamasan do tasty cocktails and the bar staff are lovely!

Dabby (she/her)

Degree: Economic and Finance 4th year

Age: 21

Favourite Glasgow Clothes Shop?: Don’t have one – I shop around for unique pieces.

What are you most looking forward to this year?: Getting through my dissertation.

Falak (he/him)

Degree: Dentistry final year

Age: 25

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): There are over 70k rape cases recorded by police in the year ending March 2022. Therefore, the charity of choice this year is a great charity as it provides support and help to victims of sexual assault. Many people don’t report what they have gone through so to support a charity which provides a safe place for people to come and be heard is a great cause to get behind. There is a quote by Regis Murayi “Part of being a person is about helping others” so with that in mind supporting any charity is helping someone somewhere hence I think every charity is a great cause as at the centre of every charity is helping others.

Best Restaurant in Glasgow: For burgers: Buck’s Bar, for steaks: Steak Inn, and whenever in doubt Partha Box (look it up you will never regret it).

Ruairi (they/he)

Degree: German and Theology 4th year

Age: 23

Best family/friend reaction to you modelling for GUCFS?: ‘… but you’re short? lol’

What is the worst fashion faux pas in your opinion?: Skinny jeans

Niall (he/him)

Degree: Medicine 4th year

Age: 23

Why did you want to be a model for GUCFS?: I’ve always really enjoyed going to fashion show events in the past and the charity this year is really important and has the potential to start conversations which aren’t happening often enough on campus.

Favourite Fashion Designer/Brand?: Cos

Khena (she/her)

Degree: Software Engineering 4th year

Age: 21

Best family/friend reaction to your modelling for GUCFS?: They’re very over it at this point.

What are you most looking forward to this year?: The show!! It was so so so much fun last year.

Tara (she/her)

Degree: French 2nd year

Age: 20

Why did you want to be a model for GUCFS?: It’s a fun and creative way to support an amazing charity, as well as meet more like-minded people!

Best Café in Glasgow: Papercup

Gemma (she/her)

Degree: Scots Law 2nd year

Age: 20

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): I am particularly passionate about this year’s charity choice as one of the main reasons I want to be a lawyer, and chose law as my degree, was to work on cases involving sexual violence to try and make sure that survivors get justice in some way. Survivors of sexual violence often choose not to prosecute or go to court due to how traumatic it can be and how appallingly survivors have been treated. Should I become a practising lawyer, I would like to work for survivors and support them throughout the trial process, and hopefully help them achieve some justice. So when I heard that this year’s charity was Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis, I wanted to be part of GUCFS even more and to help fundraise for such a worthy charity.
What is the worst fashion faux pas in your opinion?: Jeans under dresses or skirts in the 2000s

Roisin (she/her)

Degree: English Literature 1st year

Age: 18

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): I think especially considering how people blame women (in particular) for the way they dress and suggest your clothes = your consent, picking this charity gives us the opportunity to work towards debunking this idea.

Favourite Fashion Designer/Brand?: Sir the Label

Some of the team were unable to come to the shoot, so we don’t have photos of them! They were however still keen to give us answers, so here they are:

Brian (he/him)

Degree: Medicine 4th year

Age: 22

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): I wasn’t familiar with their work prior to joining GUCFS. After going to a talk from their representatives, I 100% believe it was the right charity to choose. Learning about the charity’s ethos and activities, I am very proud to be able to help fundraise to support their amazing work.

What are you most looking forward to this year?: Getting to know the other models!

Euan (they/them)

Degree: Neuroscience 4th year
Age: 23
Favourite Glasgow Clothes Shop?: Shelter charity shop on Byers Road – love the volunteers there.

What is the worst fashion faux pas in your opinion?: White jeans.

Erin (she/her)

Degree: Psychology 4th year

Age: 23

What are your thoughts on this year’s charity choice? (Glasgow and Clyde Rape Crisis): Without a doubt a fantastic charity that deserves every inch of support it gets! GUCFS allows us to bring attention to and talk about issues related to sexual assault that are often swept under the carpet. Also, it highlights the resources available for people in the Glasgow area who are affected by these issues – which is sadly far too many.

What is the worst fashion faux pas in your opinion?: Anything I think I don’t like seems to come back in fashion…so I’m not going to jinx it!

A massive thank you from us to all the models for speaking with us – we are so excited to see and report on more content.

Upcoming GUCFS dates:

• The theme of the show revealed on the 30th of November
  • VIP tickets go on sale on 7th of December
  • Standard tickets on sale 16th of January
  • Show nights are the 17th and 18th of February

See the full shoot and all other GUCFS content here.

Related stories recommended by this author: