Nuclear warfare, Scottish Independence and Buckfast: A few minutes with Jeremy Corbyn in Glasgow

He’s never tried a deep fried Mars Bar

He has fan girls, people wear t-shirts with his face on them and thousands have chanted his name at festivals; Jeremy Corbyn famously won over the hearts and minds of an unprecedented number of 18-24 year olds during Labour’s campaign in this year’s General Election.

As his party is “for the people”, during his visit to Scotland, Corbyn, along with Scottish Labour leader Kezia Dugdale, stopped to prepare cakes and speak to staff at Glasgow’s social enterprise café Social Bite – a non-profit organisation which gives jobs and free food to homeless people.

While Corbyn and the Labour Party’s popularity in England has undoubtedly surged, the SNP and the Tories still hold most of Scotland’s constituencies. The Tab Glasgow wanted to ascertain Corbyn’s opinions on Trident’s renewal – the nuclear weapon is currently situated in the Clyde – and, of course, a second Independence referendum. We also took the opportunity to find out whether or not he’s tried a deep fried Mars bar before, because what could be more important than embracing Glaswegian culture?

You’ve said before you’re anti-nuclear warfare – does this mean that you’re anti-Trident? 

I oppose the renewal of Trident and the Labour Party has a different view on it. My commitment is that I will ensure the British Government plays a full part in the nuclear Non Proliferation Treaty to promote disarmament around the world and we’d start by saying we support and want the Chinese Government to do everything it can to reduce the tensions in Korea to bring about a nuclear-free Korean peninsula. The Labour Party is debating this.

Do you believe in the right of nations to self-govern? What are your views on Scottish Independence? 

There is an obvious right of self-determination and people must make their own decisions for their future. For Scotland, we’ve had a referendum and that came to a decision. I don’t think another referendum is a good idea. I think we need to concentrate on looking at the economic issues facing Scotland and the poverty that exists here in Glasgow. A UK Labour Government in London would invest in the whole of the UK to radically change the economy. I want Scottish people to have the same benefits as anybody else. Glasgow is one of the most deprived cities in the country. Some places in Glasgow have an average life expectancy as bad as many places we decide to call Third World Countries.

Have you ever tried a deep fried Mars bar?

No – but, I’ve been offered deep-fried many things. I like to consider myself a healthy eater but, as with all things in life, you have to make an exception.

What would be your Scots drink of choice – Buckfast or Irn Bru?

Irn Bru, for sure.