‘Safe zones’ have been launched across Glasgow to protect us from crime

You can hide out there and wait for it to blow over

Nervous students who are worried they might be targeted by thieves can take advantage of “safe zones” set up by the local police.

Police Scotland have established “boltholes” in businesses across the city to be used by anyone who is vulnerable to opportunistic theft.

Chief Inspector Hilary Sloan warned those “unfamiliar with the city can often be targeted by opportunistic thieves, as they tend to carry portable, often valuable items, such as laptops, iPads and mobile phones.”

Anyone feeling unsafe as they walk through Glasgow can seek refuge in one of the ‘safe zones’

Students who feel unsafe, or unwell, can take refuge in designated “safe zones” such as cafes, hotels, and banks. They can then use these locations to contact friends or the police, or simply to take refuge until they feel safe to leave.

The safe zones have been placed along common routes taken between the city centre and universities, and include zones in both Queen Street and Central Station.

CI Sloan stressed the zones were not a substitute for emergency services, but should be noted by students when planning our routes around the city.

Those participating in the scheme will display a “Help Zone” sticker so they can be identified by anyone vulnerable.