Exclusive: Dr Alex loved Timepiece but never went to Safer Sex Ball

He graduated from Exeter in 2015

Dr Alex George has admitted he never went to SSB, although he did go to Timepiece as the “classic night out” whilst he was an Exeter student.

Studying Medicine, Dr Alex started at Exeter in 2010 and graduated in 2015. He went onto Series Four of Love Island in 2018, taking eight weeks out from his job at Lewisham A&E.

Dr Alex exclusively spoke to The Tab about everything from Love Island, to his new appointment as a mental health ambassador, as well as discussing his time as an Exeter student.

He was asked what his favourite Exeter night out was to which he replied: “Timepiece is the classic night out, Timepiece in Exeter is the main one.”

When asked if he’d ever gone to SSB, Dr Alex admitted: “I didn’t actually, I never did, my friends did.”

via Instagram @dralexgeorge

Dr Alex has recently been appointed as the Government’s Youth Mental Health Ambassador, using his platform to advocate for the importance of mental health after losing his brother.

In his Instagram post where he revealed the news, Dr Alex said being appointed for the role “hasn’t sunk in yet and I’m not sure it ever will.”

Dr Alex continued: “In my role, I will be working closely with the Government to make mental health an absolute priority. Never has mental health been more important than now. From schools to universities, the NHS and the wider public, MENTAL HEALTH MATTERS. For the current as well as future generations, we must do everything in our power to bring meaningful change.

“Nothing will bring my brother back but if I can make a positive impact that saves even one life, it will be worth moving mountains for.”

via Instagram @dralexgeorge

Dr Alex, in an exclusive interview with The Tab said the last six months have been “impossibly hard”, but that his new role as mental health ambassador will ensure the voices of young people are heard.

Dr Alex told The Tab: “You can’t just have people who are not living that experience or close to that experience and understanding that experience making all those decisions and not having them represented”.

Dr Alex went on to defend his appointment to the role, saying: “People often make quick judgements when they don’t know the stories. They don’t see the thousands of hours I’ve spent going through papers, going through papers, speaking to every charity, writing proposals and the actual work that goes behind that.”

“I’m not a consultant in mental health or a psychiatrist and stuff like that, but that’s a good thing, that’s a positive thing for this because it’s about having a voice for young people,” he says.

“You don’t want someone who is far removed from the people that we’re talking about because that wouldn’t be the purpose – that would be the purpose of an advisor on mental health.”